5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by fortis _ RSS

Trapping a multi-line field with a floating trap?

fortis _

I just started using this product, Monarch Pro 7, and have ran into some obstacles.  Hope someone can assist me.  Is there any way I can trap a 3 line field while using a floating trap?  Apparantly this is not possible, but is there any way around this?

Here's a very tiny portion of the first 3 columns of one section of the report:

20846QJG4   CONSECO FINANCE HOME EQUITY   G53521

ACUS        HOME EQ                                                    

20846QJG4   5.33% Due 3/15/2006 Mo-15                                 

The 3rd (G53521) column field is my floater because the field can be found on different positions depending on the section of the report.  The 2nd column is the what needs to be defined as one field.

Any ideas?

tks,

ajr  :confused:

• Trapping a multi-line field with a floating trap?
          Mike Urbonas

Is this what your report actually looks like?  (Spaces, etc.?)

[font="courier"]20846QJG4   CONSECO FINANCE HOME EQUITY   G53521

ACUS        HOME EQ                                                    

20846QJG4   5.33% Due 3/15/2006 Mo-15                                  /font[/quote]

Grant Perkins

ajr,

I was going to ask the question that Mike asked AND whether there is a specific need to TRAP on the third column.

A need to trap and then have floating and variable data fields is one thing but a data field that moves about horizontally, but is not required as a trap to define where the records are, would suggest a different approach.

It is always worth considering (which you may well already have done of course) whether the problem can be addressed from a completely different angle.

Eagerly awaiting your next post ...

Grant

[size="1"][ December 04, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

fortis _

Good morning to all, thanks for replying.  Yes Mike, that's how the first 3 out of 7 fields of the report looks like. 

Grant,

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question.  I used the "G 53521", which happens to be the third column, as a trap because that was the only unique element that I was able to find on all the records.  And it became a floater because it is not aligned throughout the report.  I wish I could show you a larger portion of the report but it gets wrapped up so you won't know where it starts or ends.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.  Let me know.

tks,

ajr

Grant Perkins

Hi ajr,

Well, subject to any ideas Mike has in mind, it does sound like this might be a little tricky.

I would really like to see a more complete example of the whole report  - I just feel so much more comfortable getting a feel for the whole thing.

Have you  tried posting more of it with the CODE feature that Mike used. (Buttons in the Instant UBB  code section below the posting area.)

Failing that and if there are no major privacy constraints, I would be happy to have a look at a larger sample emailed to me, perhaps with your current model as well if you have the required fields defined in some way. That would be easier than trying to explain it all I would guess!

Let me know by private message and I will send you my email address.

I think[/i] the floating trap may cause a few problems in this context but there may be an alternative approach.

Do the records each have a fixed number of lines? Or is that a further complication?

Grant

Originally posted by fortis:

Good morning to all, thanks for replying.  Yes Mike, that's how the first 3 out of 7 fields of the report looks like. 

Grant,

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question.  I used the "G 53521", which happens to be the third column, as a trap because that was the only unique element that I was able to find on all the records.  And it became a floater because it is not aligned throughout the report.  I wish I could show you a larger portion of the report but it gets wrapped up so you won't know where it starts or ends.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.  Let me know.

tks,

ajr /b[/quote]

fortis _

Hi Grant,

I tried posting a portion using the 'code' buttons below but was unsuccessful.  I would really appreciate it if you can send it to you via e-mail.

Again, thank you for your willingness to help.

ajr