4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by RalphB _ RSS

Jet Internal Database Error 3434

Heather _

A user is trying to append data to an existing file and she keeps getting a Jet Internal Database Error 3434, Cannot expand name range. Any ideas for someone who knows little about Monarch?

[size="1"][ December 03, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ][/size]

• Jet Internal Database Error 3434
          Nick Osdale-Popa

is the file currently open when trying to append/export from Monarch?  I know the file has to be closed in order for Monarch to write to it.

Darren _

Heather, I agree with Nick's suggestion. I remember back to one of my first attempts to append data to another file. I got the same message as you have now. I had left the file (that I was appending data to) open.  :rolleyes: 

Try making sure that the file is not open or in use. Hope this helps...

Originally posted by Heather:

A user is trying to append data to an existing file and she keeps getting a Jet Internal Database Error 3434, Cannot expand name range. Any ideas for someone who knows little about Monarch? /b[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Heather,

The other possibility (given that the message you see may not always point you to the place where the problem occurs) is that in this case it is referring to a NAMED RANGE as in an Excel Named Range? Are you exporting to Excel?

I have come across this elsewhere. In an Excel spreadsheet the named range will imply a fixed maximum number of rows and columns. Columns could be a problem if the exported output has changed. More commonly there are simply more rows of data to export than can be accomodated in the target part of the worksheet. Or something like that.

Of course that can also occur if the program can't open the worksheet at all ...

Might be worth checking.

Grant

Originally posted by Heather:

A user is trying to append data to an existing file and she keeps getting a Jet Internal Database Error 3434, Cannot expand name range. Any ideas for someone who knows little about Monarch? /b[/quote]

RalphB _

I agree with Grant.  If you are exporting to Excel, then it has to do with named ranges. I run into this every now and then when the named range is smaller than what is on the spreadsheet.  To fix this, make sure your named range includes all rows and columns currently in your spreadsheet.