4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Controlling Monarch's Excel Output format

Larry White

Anyone have knowledge about controlling the formatting of an Monarch Excel export. Surely it is possible.

Thanks

• Controlling Monarch's Excel Output format
          Grant Perkins

Larry, welcome.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "controlling"? Which aspects do you want to control and how?

The version of Monarch you wish to use will have some bearing on this - things have changed as the years have gone by. For which version do you seek information? I presume version 8 is the most likely answer but thought I would check.

Grant

Larry White

Hey Grant,

I am using Monarch V8, Windows XP Pro, and Office XP Pro. You know what the standard output from Monarch to Excel looks like, gray column headers, data in the Excel default font. I am curious if there is an easy way to modify and or customize just those two parameters, for a start.

And is there siimilar control over the the Monarch summary page formatting mode. Thanks for your quick reply. I hope this is making sense to you.

Grant Perkins

Larry,

All things being equal, and subject to the normal caveat about the general availability of a font on the target systems, whatever font you use in Monarch should also export to an Excel file using V8.

As far as colouring and shading are concerned these are the province of Summaries rather than the main the table. If you change the properties of a field on a summary and include colouring, font and shading then these settings should transfer to Excel as far as I know. There may be some limitations if MS have included some in their export engine. (Caveat as before.)

Whilst the font change will affect the column header font I don't think there is a way, certainly not one that I know about, of changing the column header colour prior to export. However the colour for the column or any clouring exceptions defined for the measures of a summary should export as you intend them to.

Others with extended experience of the Monarch to Excel interface may be able to provide additional information on this.

HTH.

Grant

Grant Perkins

Forgot to mention in the previous post ...

... The Export Options setting needs to specify an appropriate version of Excel and the tick box to enable Excel formatting needs to be ticked ...

... but my guess is that you would know that already Larry so this is really for those who may be reading this thread at a later date.

Grant