4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

Exporting data to access, append.

Ifshmn _

I'm pretty much brand spanking new to monarch.  Our bank has been using it for years, but in a very limited capacity (v6.0 pro).

We are using it to parse out our NT security logs, somewhat successfully, and have been for years.

Our goal now is to be able to automate some of the tasks and keep an ongoing history.  In the past we've: saved a log, parsed it, and saved the end file individually.  Now, we want to use a command line (or batch file) to grab an audit log, apply a model to it and have it export that data to either an existing table in a Microsoft Access file or have it create a new table within that database.

So far, I've been able to achieve that goal except it keeps overwriting everything in the access database file.

This what I've been using.

[font="courier"] monarch c:monarch     est.txt c:monarch     est.mod c:monarchmonarchdb.mdb /font[/quote]Is ther a way to achieve the goal as descibed above?

I'm aware that there is an append feature in the 7.0 version, but I doubt that my boss will pay another 500$, for that one feature

Thanks!

• Exporting data to access, append.
          RalphB _

The only way to append to a file with V 6.0 Pro is to use Visual Basic scripting using the JetExportTable or JetExportSummary command.  You can find more information in the Monarch Programmers Guide in the Support Download site on Datawatch's homepage.

Ifshmn _

Thanks.

After more thinking, I was able to devise a way so that I could run those commands from a batch file, creating seperate mdb's each time, then use a macro from Access to draw in that data via linked tables.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Ifshmn:

Thanks.

After more thinking, I was able to devise a way so that I could run those commands from a batch file, creating seperate mdb's each time, then use a macro from Access to draw in that data via linked tables. /b[/quote]Just following this and it occurred to me that the trade-off between $500 for a licence upgrade to gain the required functionality (and a few other facilities that may or may not be of use) and the cost of a few hours (more or less?) to work out and program a solution may be a closer call than it first appears. Especially if there may be some potential for continuing maintenance  of the batch file(s) and Access macro(s).

Can anyone provide any insights into this level of corporate thinking from their own experiences?

Just interested. Private messages OK if anonymity preferred.     

Grant

Nick Osdale-Popa

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Ifshmn:

Thanks.

After more thinking, I was able to devise a way so that I could run those commands from a batch file, creating seperate mdb's each time, then use a macro from Access to draw in that data via linked tables. /b[/quote]Just following this and it occurred to me that the trade-off between $500 for a licence upgrade to gain the required functionality (and a few other facilities that may or may not be of use) and the cost of a few hours (more or less?) to work out and program a solution may be a closer call than it first appears. Especially if there may be some potential for continuing maintenance  of the batch file(s) and Access macro(s).

Can anyone provide any insights into this level of corporate thinking from their own experiences?

Just interested. Private messages OK if anonymity preferred.       

Grant /b[/size][/QUOTE]When I was at the 2003 User Conference I had the opportunity to show the Datawatch Guru's my automation techniques in Access/Excel.  They were impressed and basically said that I recreated their  [url="http://www.datawatch.com/dataconversionsoftware/data_pump.htm"]Data Pump[/url] application.       I took that as a huge compliment.