3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Input file extension

Gwendolyn _

My company recently upgraded to Monarch Pro version 8.02.  I’m trying to open a report with an .xls extension and I’m getting an error message telling me that ‘Files with extension XLS are not allowed here”  I used to be able to open these files in version 7 of Monarch Pro.

The files I am trying to open are converted to excel in a batch process using visual basic and instead of having to change the extensions in vb, I put the xls extension on the input files.  I need to open these files occasionally in Monarch to modify the model files. Anyone have any ideas or do I have to modify my program so my input files have a different extension?

• Input file extension
          Grant Perkins

Hi Gwendolyn,

I see what you mean. I can open real .xls files in V7 (usually with a warning about lines more then 1000 characters) although the results are usually unusable. Not unreasonable I assume since a real xls file is not a simple text file.

Using V8 I get the same messgae that you get. Unless I open the file from the 'recent files' list in which case it seems to work (though still unusable.)

I suspect that things have been tightened up to remind people that the ubiquitous .xls extension should really, by common and global usage, only be used for Excel files and that, as far as Monarch is concerned, they are to be used as database files not text files.

Now, that said, if you have formatted a file to be Excel compatible for a direct read, why try to open it in Monarch as a report file?

If it is not Excel format what is it? What would happen if you tried to open it in Excel? Can you give it an extension that would be compatible with Monarch (to be read as a report) and Excel (for direct import)?

At the moment my personal prespective is that, given the ubiquitous application of the .xls extension for Excel compatible files, I would prefer to be prevented from opening a genuine .xls file as an unreadable report and that, on that basis, Version 8 seems to be doing the right thing.

I'm open to persuasion though.

Best regards,

Grant

[size="1"][ August 08, 2006, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Input file extension
            Gwendolyn _

Hi Grant,

I guess I agree with you that if is's not yet an excel file it shouldn't have the xls extension.  I was trying to save myself some (re)work.  My input files are actually spooled files from our iSeries.  We allow users to see certain reports on the web in pdf and fairly recently we also give them the reports in excel using Monarch as the conversion tool. 

Thank you for your reply.

Gwendolyn

• Input file extension
              Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Gwendolyn:

Hi Grant,

We allow users to see certain reports on the web in pdf and fairly recently we also give them the reports in excel using Monarch as the conversion tool. 

Thank you for your reply.

Gwendolyn /b[/quote]Ah! I see.

In that case can you simply rename on export, perhaps using a project export? There must be something in the programmers guide to cover that .. (I'm not a programmer so not too familiar with that aspect of things.)

I'm sure one or two of the other forum members will be able to help with suggestions about a way forward.

Grant.