5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by ndello _ RSS

Excluding Blanks

ndello _

Hi all,

I created a summary with 6 fields.  Sometimes one field has a blank cell and if that happens, I want to omit that row from the summary.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Neil

• Excluding Blanks
          Data Kruncher

Hi Neil,

To omit the blank items from the Summary, I would create a filter in the Table window that excludes that field with blank values from your data. Now edit your Summary definition to use that filter.

Let us know if you need help with creating the filter.

Kruncher

• Excluding Blanks
            ndello _

I was afraid you would say that.  I use the table for other reporting that I count the blanks.

Other than creating a new model and a new table is there another way?

Thanks

• Excluding Blanks
              Data Kruncher

Neil,

For your other purpose, just make sure you set the table to "No filter". Alternatively, you could build two filters: one named "Include Blanks", and one named "Exclude Blanks". Then when open the model, you set the exact filter you want (it's self documenting to boot!).

Additionally, you could save two project files, each having the filter name as part of the project filename so you know which does which. If you do this, just make sure you've set the right filter before you save the project file.

That is to say, don't get them backwards - a "Exclude Blanks" project with the "Include Blanks" filter applied - oops. This might be the voice of experience talking.       redface.gif[/img] 

Kruncher

• Excluding Blanks
                Grant Perkins

Originally posted by ndello:

I was afraid you would say that.  I use the table for other reporting that I count the blanks.

Other than creating a new model and a new table is there another way?

Thanks /b[/quote]Hi Neil,

Should not be a problem. Although Kruncher suggested opening the table window to define the filter (which is where you can access the menu under the DATA label) the filter does not have to be applied to the table, just apply it to your summary. (However it will be automatically applied when you define it so you need to set it back to no filter, or whatever you need, before leaving the table. Remember there are a number of places that allow you to select and apply filters you have already defined - assuming you are using one of the most recent versions of Monarch of course. I have to admit I don't recall if you have provided that info before. Apologies if you have.)

Have multiple versions of the same summary, created quickly using the DUPLICATE option, each with a different filter - if you have the need.

In fact if you are using Project Exports you don't have to apply the filter to a summary at all as long as it is defined. You can just use the apply all filters option on export ...

HTH.

Grant

• Excluding Blanks
                  ndello _

Thank you, I will mess with the filter and see if I can get it.