8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by RalphB _ RSS

EXPORT STOPS DURING EXCEL FORMATTING

MICHAEL SPIELMAN

WHEN EXPORTING LARGE FILES, (APROX 14,000 ROWS)

DURING THE EXCEL FORMATTING PROCESS  THE COMPLETION BAR STOPS HALF WAY THRU AND MONARCH FREEZES. IF I OPEN THE EXCEL, USING MICROSOFT EXCEL, FILE THAT WAS EXPORTED IT TELLS ME ITS IN USE DO I WANT TO PROCEED? IF I SELECT YES THE EXEL FILE IS OPENED AND MONARCH GETS AN OPERATION EXCEPTION AND CLOSES. AS A NOTE THE EXCEL FILE WAS EXPORTED PROPERLY AND I USE FILE TYPE EXCEL 97+. CAN ANYONE HELP?

• EXPORT STOPS DURING EXCEL FORMATTING
          Grant Perkins

Michael,

Which version of Monarch?

Grant

Originally posted by MICHAEL SPIELMAN:

WHEN EXPORTING LARGE FILES, (APROX 14,000 ROWS)

DURING THE EXCEL FORMATTING PROCESS  THE COMPLETION BAR STOPS HALF WAY THRU AND MONARCH FREEZES. IF I OPEN THE EXCEL, USING MICROSOFT EXCEL, FILE THAT WAS EXPORTED IT TELLS ME ITS IN USE DO I WANT TO PROCEED? IF I SELECT YES THE EXEL FILE IS OPENED AND MONARCH GETS AN OPERATION EXCEPTION AND CLOSES. AS A NOTE THE EXCEL FILE WAS EXPORTED PROPERLY AND I USE FILE TYPE EXCEL 97+. CAN ANYONE HELP? /b[/quote]

Tom Whiteside

Michael, one company I worked for had the exact same problem.  We had just upgraded from Monarch 5 to Monarch 6 and were using Office 97.  In Monarch 6, one had to set the export option to "Excel 8.0," equivalent to Excel 97 or higher.

We found that the Excel formatting looked like it had frozen, but was actually still running - - just very slowly.  Force yourself to take a bathroom break or grab a fresh cup of coffee.  Usually, the extra five minutes was sufficient to allow the export to finish.

If this turns out to be the case, then beg your IS department to upgrade to Monarch 7, Office 2000, and Win XP.  I hope you get a better reply, but this was what we had to put up with for several months.

Good luck!

MICHAEL SPIELMAN

I am currently running version 7 of Monarch on under Windows XP and have Office XP

Grant Perkins

Michael,

I have had that sort of combination (V7 and XP (Home version)) appear to hang when generating a large multi-file lookup database. It actually just started to go VERY slow about 50% of the way through.

For various reasons, like the way other apps were performing as well, I rebooted and the process was fine next time round. I don't remember a problem with Excel particularly though I have had one or two export attempts fail apparently due to poor data issues that Excel did not like. However, mostly they work fine.

I am slightly suspicious that, even at the 7.01 level, there are a few funny things that can happen within the internal memory cache or somewhere similar though that is as likely to be an XP problem as a Monarch problem. XP is a whole lot better than previous MS O/S's but I have still had it crash using a number of different applications. The benefit is that recovery is swifter and surer than, say, Win 98. Usually.

Sorry I can't add much more than that. See if the reboot helps. If you can get the problem to repeat reliably it may be possible to pin it down. I have not found a way to get mine to repeat reliably so far! But they are very rare so it is not too much of a concern for me.

It may be worth checking that you are up to date with all the MS Jet engine patches.

The only other suggestion I have is to try crashing the program and see if it leaves the Excel file behind and whether that file can tell you anything about where it is hanging. "Where" might lead to "why".

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by MICHAEL SPIELMAN:

I am currently running version 7 of Monarch on under Windows XP and have Office XP /b[/quote]

RalphB _

I am having the same problem.  We just upgraded from V 6 pro to V 7.01 Pro.  We did not have this problem under V 6.

I have this process start approx 1 hour before I come to work in the morning via Excel Macro script and it is still running when I arrive.

I have re-booted numerous times and also have downloaded the latest Jet 4.0 version from Microsoft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

RalphB _

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to this problem.

I am running Monarch V7.01 Pro network on a Win2000 Machine with the latest MS Jet 4 engine updates.

I have left it run all weekend long and it still was not done.

!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Grant Perkins

Ralph,

Nothing to add to my previous post I'm afraid, but on my machine I could see that most of the time I was not CPU or memory constrained according to the display from the system monitoring tool.

However the disk was working flat out all the time - like a lot of swapping was going on for some reason. I have seen a similar situation more frequently when opening a database based project.

It sounds like you have a consistent problem which may be worth the Tech Support people taking a look at.

My feeling was that something was getting into a loop sometimes - but not every time. I can't think what might cause that or what might be a sensible next test to apply. It's not a big enough or consistent enough problem for me to spend a lot of time on but I feel it may need a structured approach, if only to eliminate things that it can't be!

Grant

Originally posted by RalphB:

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to this problem.

I am running Monarch V7.01 Pro network on a Win2000 Machine with the latest MS Jet 4 engine updates.

I have left it run all weekend long and it still was not done.

!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ February 27, 2004, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

RalphB _

Thanks Grant.  I was hoping someone out here might have a solution. 

I have sent a request to Tech Support but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I have problems only with extremely large files --- over 15,000 lines long.  Smaller ones, no problem.

The only thing I have come up with so far, to keep things running, is to cancel Excel formatting, but then that requires someone to go in and format the report after the fact.