5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Some quick questions

Killer_cup _

First thing is I trapped a string that has the company name, period, and period end date.  I extracted the period and date but it truncates the date part.  Is there a way to get the period and the date?   It is 25 chars but cut down to 19 chars. 

from   : FLYING PRODUCE STATEMENT FOR  MONTH  1, ENDING 12/30/05

need   : MONTH  1, ENDING 1/30/06

getting: MONTH  1, ENDING 1/

doing  : Extract(Company,'For ')

The second thing is my new boss wants the export to be more elegant.  I need to add a header, borders around the totals, the dollare amount as and all negative numbers should be in red.  Where would I set this up at?  I'm exporting from the summary

Thank you

• Some quick questions
          Grant Perkins

Hi,

For the first question have you checked that your field DISPLAY width (as well as your data width) is adequate? If it is we need to look elsewhere.

I can't help much off the top of my head with the second question - I tend to look to function over form.

However it would be useful to know which version of Monarch you are using since the options have advanced quite significantly over the years, especially with the current Version 8.

HTH.

Grant

• Some quick questions
            Killer_cup _

Thank you so much,

For the first problem I just parsed the string twice so I can remove "Ending".  The string looks good now; I just needed the period and date.

I look for function too, but my boss wants function and form.  I have Monarch Pro V8.01.

I went through the pdf file that came with it and the help function and could not come up with anything.

Please help.  Thank you.

• Some quick questions
              Grant Perkins

You should be able to develop a formula that will produce the bits of the line you want in a single pass. If you are working with 2 fields at the moment just substitute the formula for your intermediate field into the Field Name of that field in the second calculation.

I forgot to ask you originally what export format you need to produce for your boss. Many people export to Excel which has it's own way of doing things though some formatting can be set up Monarch and Exported to Excel.

Are you using Excel or producing a different format and file type?

Grant

• Some quick questions
                Killer_cup _

Thank you,

I'm using excel, he basically wants to be able to automate the process so we dont have to format in excel afterwards.  is it possible?

• Some quick questions
                  Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Killer_cup:

Thank you,

I'm using excel, he basically wants to be able to automate the process so we dont have to format in excel afterwards.  is it possible? /b[/quote]Should be possible though I am not entireley syure about the borders for totals if they are the ONLY cells requiring borders - I have never played with that.

You need to look at two places.

For the SUMMARY go to PROPERTIES and you will see that you can set up some STYLE information.

At the bottom of that window is a button to take you the Page Setup (for export) where you can define Header and footer and set various page format setting including grid lines.

For you dollar values and red negatives I assume the numbers are being produced as MEASURES in the summary? If so you can set the property of each measure.

There are 3 tabs for a measure property. The Calculation Tab allows you to specify the number format to be currency (you may need to identify the format to be CUSTOM?). That should pick up your PC's default currency identifier.

The COLOURING AND LIMITS tab will take you to a screem that allows you to set a value that will make measuement values less than a specified number (zero in your case) display in a different colour. I suggest that you experiment with the results for familiarity  - much easier than trying to describe it!

As far as I am aware all of these values should export to Excel successfully providing your OPTIONS > EXPORT and CLIPBOARD OPTIONS are set to an appropriate Excel version value and you have ticked the box for formatting on export to Excel.

I hope this helps. The embedded HELP file, CHAPTER 3 for SUMMARIES, has a lot more information.

Have fun.

Grant