2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Scott Johnson RSS

Trapping a footer that isn't the last line or below the detail

Scott Johnson

Well I am having a little difficulty in trapping a tax ID number from a report that is not below the listing of several entries for the same tax ID.  The format looks something like the following:

Tax ID_____Amount

________________Name

___________10.00

________________Bob

4533456____20.00

________________Bob

___________30.00

________________Joe

___________40.00

________________Joe

4444444____10.00

________________Tina

(forgive the underscores, I couldn't figure out how to keep the spacing otherwise)

So what I have are two lines for each record, with multiple records for each tax ID but the tax ID shows up as the second to the last line for each grouping.  Any thoughts?  I used a two line trap to get the detail information of the amount and name, but I am having difficulty relating the tax ID to each of the detail lines.  I am using version 6.01 Pro.  I went through the training on version 7 and I thought there was something that addressed this but I am unable to recall what it was or if I could do it in version 6.  Thanks in advance for the help.

• Trapping a footer that isn't the last line or below the detail
          Grant Perkins

Scott,

Just to be sure I've got this. The Tax ID is on the first line (of a two line record) for the last record related to each code?

In other words it would be a good and simple append but for the fact it is upsidedown for append purposes?

I have tried a quick experiment with a Cut and Paste version of your posted layout and seemed to get the result that you want but I assume there are other complications.

I used both lines for the detail trap, trapping on the decimal point of the value. Then both lines again for a footer trap trapping on the tax ID and making that a field as well.

Assuming that the suggestion above does not work for the full report, I'm wondering if one way might be to create each 2 line record as a single record, add the record number as a calculated field and then sort the resulting table on descending record number.

Export that inverted table to a new text file and you would should be in a position to grab the tax code as either an append or as a fill field.

Still, it would be nice to find a one pass solution so I will keep looking if my first suggestion is wide of the mark.

I hope this helps somehow.

Grant

Originally posted by Scott Johnson:

Well I am having a little difficulty in trapping a tax ID number from a report that is not below the listing of several entries for the same tax ID.  The format looks something like the following:

Tax ID_____Amount

________________Name

___________10.00

________________Bob

4533456____20.00

________________Bob

___________30.00

________________Joe

___________40.00

________________Joe

4444444____10.00

________________Tina

(forgive the underscores, I couldn't figure out how to keep the spacing otherwise)

So what I have are two lines for each record, with multiple records for each tax ID but the tax ID shows up as the second to the last line for each grouping.  Any thoughts?  I used a two line trap to get the detail information of the amount and name, but I am having difficulty relating the tax ID to each of the detail lines.  I am using version 6.01 Pro.  I went through the training on version 7 and I thought there was something that addressed this but I am unable to recall what it was or if I could do it in version 6.  Thanks in advance for the help. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ November 24, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Trapping a footer that isn't the last line or below the detail
            Scott Johnson

That did the trick.  I kept trying to trap it as a single line footer, trapping it as a two liner allowed it to attach itself to the correct records.  Thank you very much.