3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

change lines when working with fields values

JanW _

Hi,

is there any function similiar to

value of FieldA, line 32 = value of FieldB, line 2

?

I have been looking for hours now and found nothing.

TIA

Jan

• change lines when working with fields values
          Grant Perkins

Jan,

If both fields are in the same record then then yes, possibly, if you wanted to use the formula as a comparison for some purpose - a filter perhaps.

But it you want to make the value of an output field the same as the value of an input field (again, within the same record) you can do that but the line and field number would not be significant on the INPUT side, though they might be on the output side.

There may be other possibilities that woud provide the solution you want but which might require slightly more complex procedures to deliver it. However, without knowing the context of your question the response would be rather long!

I hope this helps in some way.

Grant

JanW _

Hey,

thanks very much for replying to my question.

To be honest, your answer hasnt hepled me too much. Maybe I should evaluate my problem more detailed.

The problem which I have to solve is the following:

I have fields F1,F2, and I want the value of the first line in F1 to be the value of the third line of F2.

What makes my head ache is, that it is the FIRST line, and then the THIRD line. If it was the same line in both cases, I could do it.

I hope the answer is not too easy, because I have really tried a lot  smile.gif[/img]

Thank you very much,

Jan

Grant Perkins

Jan,

It sounds like you are seeing the problem as each LINE has a version of Field 1 and Field 2. Which leads me to think of the output being one table record for each line.

Calculated fields can only work within the RECORD so there wouold be no way to make the value of field 2 in record 3 dependent upon the value of Field 1 in RECORD 1.

What may be possible is to see the problem differently at the start, but this will depend on the format and nature of the starting place.

If it is a database the only realistic thing to do would be to extract the information as it is and save it in a new and more useful form as a REPORT. You might then be able to use the REPORT to map the data into the grouping you meed for your analysis using a second Monarch session. However it may also be the case that it could be done by loading data into Excel if the number of records does not exceed Excel's capacity.

If the starting point is a REPORT then there may be some opportunities for creating a template where the fields from lines one and three are in the same record - in which case you can make the calculated field as you already know.

If you are starting with a 'report'' or text file and have the possibility of posting a sample of the report on the forum we could give you some opinions about the options available. There is usually some way to achieve the objective but it is usually best to see the problem in detail from the starting point if the answer is not a simple one.

Is it possible to provide a sample - perhaps with the data altered for privacy and security?

Grant