3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by JustAThought _ RSS

Report only 1 line

JustAThought _

Hi,

We want to show only the first detail line of possibly several.  I'm not sure how to do this.  The extracted report is simple but I can't find anything to limit the line to only 1.  In the example below the first date line is the one we want.  The second one we want to exclude.  There can be several of these lines.  They may or may not have the same date in the first column.  Any trap I make gets all those lines.  The data preceding that line is not consistient.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

==========================================

04292003  04292003   11   05   85014     1  2  11

04292003  04292003   11   05   36415     1  2  14

• Report only 1 line
          JustAThought _

Hi,

Think this one is solved by using a multiple line detail trap.  At first I didn't think that solution would work because the preceding short line with the numbers didn't always seem to be there but I think it will work using that. 

But is there anyway to trap just that first line alone if there is nothing fixed for sure that precedes it?  This could still be the case.

Thanks

• Report only 1 line
            Grant Perkins

Hi,

Based on the sample lines the multi-line trap is all that seems feasible and even then only if there is enough consistency in the report that the number of lines between subheadings is constant. In other words it is a bit 'iffy' in theory but may work for your report.

Is there nothing else on the report detail line that could be used as a first line exclusive trap?

Be sure to check the whole line width just in case.

Alternatively is there any piece(s) of data that would be exclusive to the first line, such that your may select multiple lines but you could filter out the lines you don't want?

Failing that there is a very slim chance that the report layout, if highly structured, might offer some form of filter selection using page number and line number based calculated fields. However that suggestion is a real long shot in the dark from the information available!

Grant

Originally posted by JustAThought:

Hi,

Think this one is solved by using a multiple line detail trap.  At first I didn't think that solution would work because the preceding short line with the numbers didn't always seem to be there but I think it will work using that. 

But is there anyway to trap just that first line alone if there is nothing fixed for sure that precedes it?  This could still be the case.

Thanks /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ May 19, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Report only 1 line
              JustAThought _

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.  So far the mutiline trap is catching everything.  I appreciate the help and will be back here if necessary.