HHHHHH

HHHHHH

AAAAAAA

NNNNN.NN  NNNNNN.NN  NNNNNN.NN  NNNNNN.NN

NNN        NNN        NNN        NNN

H = Header

A = Alpha

N = Number

I want to trap the first aplha line and the next line, which is numbers.  I have two problems.  First, sometimes the Alpha line and the next line (number line) fall on seperate pages seperated by a header.  I think I can overcome that by trapping the number line as a detail line and the alpha line a an append.  However, my second problem is that the first number line sometimes shifts to the right, depending on how many digits each number field is in the line.  I can't figure out how to keep Monarch from trapping the second line in the report.  Also, sometimes the first number line is blank but I would still like to capture it showing the Alpha field had no activity.  Any suggestions?  I can also email anyone willing to take a glance a portion of the report.txt file.

Thanks so much!

• Troublr trapping a report where lines shift right
          Grant Perkins

Grant,

Appending the Alpha line should work fine.

Is the SECOND numeric line more consistently 'located' than the first? (I assume the report only ever has a single decimal line between the alpha line and the 3 digit numerics.)

Might be possibly highlight both lines as detail, trap on the second but set the fields on the first?

However dealing with the floating field positions on the decimal line of the detail could be more of a challenge, especially if the line might be blank!

A thought I had (not checked for possible stupidity yet!) is that you might trap the whole line as a single field then SPLIT it based on the spaces between the fields the template has found.

I would like to experiment on a 'real' sample since it sounds like there are a number of variables to watch out for. I sent a private message with my email address. Feel free to forward if that is OK with you.

Best regards,

Grant P

Originally posted by GrantRoss:

Using Monarch Pro V6

I am having trouble trapping a report that with the following layout

HHHHHH

HHHHHH

HHHHHH

AAAAAAA

NNNNN.NN  NNNNNN.NN  NNNNNN.NN  NNNNNN.NN

NNN        NNN        NNN        NNN

H = Header

A = Alpha

N = Number

I want to trap the first aplha line and the next line, which is numbers.  I have two problems.  First, sometimes the Alpha line and the next line (number line) fall on seperate pages seperated by a header.  I think I can overcome that by trapping the number line as a detail line and the alpha line a an append.  However, my second problem is that the first number line sometimes shifts to the right, depending on how many digits each number field is in the line.  I can't figure out how to keep Monarch from trapping the second line in the report.  Also, sometimes the first number line is blank but I would still like to capture it showing the Alpha field had no activity.  Any suggestions?  I can also email anyone willing to take a glance a portion of the report.txt file.

Thanks so much! [/b][/quote]