3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Steve Caiels RSS

Relational Comparison

Fred _

This might have been covered in training but I can't seem to get it right.  I ran a model on a  report we have here. I have two monthly summaries.  One for October and September,  I want to compare the two.  Would I need to export one summary to excel then join databases?  I tried that and did not get right output.

• Relational Comparison
          Darren _

Fred,

It depends on how you want to look at the data you want compared. When you say you want to 'compare' the two, do you really want to join them or just look at the data "side by side"? If you want to join the two data sets into one - then remember you must have one key unique field to join the two data sets. Let me know more about the problem - if its a joining problem, I'll help you through it...

Darren.

Originally posted by Fred:

This might have been covered in training but I can't seem to get it right.  I ran a model on a  report we have here. I have two monthly summaries.  One for October and September,  I want to compare the two.  Would I need to export one summary to excel then join databases?  I tried that and did not get right output. /b[/quote]

• Relational Comparison
            Fred _

Thanks for the help I really wanted to look at the data side by side.

• Relational Comparison
              Steve Caiels

Hi Fred,

This will depend alot on how you want to see data and the original report layout.  But one method that often works is to open up both reports together.  Then create a calculated field in the table using the expression

rsplit(file(),2,"/",1)

[if this doesn't work, maybe the "/" is a "" ]

This creates a column with the file name that can be used this as a key with the display direction set to across in a summary.

Cheers

Steve