3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Model Help

William Schanks

I have the following text file:

[url="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1147195/Report.JPG"]Report Screen Shot[/url]  

It puts the data in the table like this: [url="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1147195/table.JPG"]Table Screen Shot[/url]

How can I have it do either of these 2:

Put in a page break.

Create a separate row for each data element.

[size="1"][ February 14, 2006, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: William Schanks ][/size]

• Model Help
          Grant Perkins

William,

Your model seems to be capturing some of the report prompts which are not especially useful as data for analysis. Is this intentional with a purpose to it?

Can you expand on what you think of as a data element please. Do you see a record as the 2 lines (or more) related to a FINS# entry or at the next level down - BIC, DTC PARTIC, etc. ?

A page break would normally be something found in a SUMMARY window rather than in a table. The exception wouolfd be if you cose to print the table in which case there would be printer page breaks but I rather think you are suggesting data 'page breaks' after a specific grouping to records. Is that correct?

If  you need to captuure every line which has BIC and so on in it I would have the detail tmeplate trap on the after BIC, etc. ":" and then pick up the data to the right of the ":"

Add an append template to pick up the FINS# data trapping on the ":" to the right of the FINS# tag.

Add another append template to pick up whatever you need from the lines with broker numbers. (or are they just record numbers of some sort?)

Use a SUMMARY or filters to export the data in the format you require or print the table (or, perhaps better, the summary) after applying a filter and break the table up that way. But do let us know the answers

HTH.

Grant

• Model Help
            William Schanks

Your model seems to be capturing some of the report prompts which are not especially useful as data for analysis. Is this intentional with a purpose to it?

/quoteI am not sure what you mean by Report Prompts.

Can you expand on what you think of as a data element please. Do you see a record as the 2 lines (or more) related to a FINS# entry or at the next level down - BIC, DTC PARTIC, etc. ?[/quote]My model has a data element as BIC, DTC Partipant, EuroClear, or anything comes after the Fins#. It varies with each Broker/Fins. So to answer your question, yes.

A page break would normally be something found in a SUMMARY window rather than in a table. The exception wouolfd be if you cose to print the table in which case there would be printer page breaks but I rather think you are suggesting data 'page breaks' after a specific grouping to records. Is that correct?[/quote]Yes I need data page breaks. Would a summary break it better? I have never used the summary functionality. Is it like a Group By Query in SQL?

If you need to captuure every line which has BIC and so on in it I would have the detail tmeplate trap on the after BIC, etc. ":" and then pick up the data to the right of the ":"[/quote]I need to know what the number relates to, so if it says BIC or DTC Partic, or whatever else could be there. So I need two data fields captured: The Data element name, and the value.

Add an append template to pick up the FINS# data trapping on the ":" to the right of the FINS# tag.

Add another append template to pick up whatever you need from the lines with broker numbers. (or are they just record numbers of some sort?)[/quote]I don't know why I didn't see this. It must have been one of those days. Sometimes explaining what you need to someone else and thinking thru it on the message board is all you need.

Use a SUMMARY or filters to export the data in the format you require or print the table (or, perhaps better, the summary) after applying a filter and break the table up that way. But do let us know the answers.[/quote]I didn't go with a summary, I need to do more learning about them.

Thanks for the help.

• Model Help
              Grant Perkins

Hi William,

You are right to question what I mean by Report Prompts (or tags or any name they may be given and there could be many). Simply they are anything which tends to repeat and inform what the following data is. So they are often field names in effect and by convention are ofrtten followed by a ":"

So to me the BIC, DTC PARTIC # and so on descriptions are not data they are prompts. The data would follow them. But I could be wrong in this case ...

In your sample BIC: never has anything following. Does the BIC: description always exist? Its purpose seems unclear. If we take the DTC PARTIC# line there is a number following. It happens to be the same as the FINS# number so there seems to be a lot of duplication.

Do you need all this or do you need a field called, say, "BIC Data" which picks up whatever value is to the right of the colon after the "BIC :" string? (And also to the Left of the string as a probable APPEND.

However, whether or not you need to capture that string of text in a field does not matter too much if you are now able to treat each required line as a separate record!

Page breaks in a summary are much like subtotals in Excel but do not 'page' on the screen. They are used, where initiated, in the summary export and print functions.

Monarch Summaries are very powerful and fast. Not difficult to set up or the sort of report you seem to have (based on the examples) and potentially very useful indeed.

/size[quote]quote:[/size]If you need to capture every line which has BIC and so on in it I would have the detail tmeplate trap on the after BIC, etc. ":" and then pick up the data to the right of the ":"[/quote]I need to know what the number relates to, so if it says BIC or DTC Partic, or whatever else could be there. So I need two data fields captured: The Data element name, and the value. /size[/QUOTE]Hmm, maybe not? If the field name for the value tells you what it is for you would have all that you need. There are ways to work like that BUT how well such a method would work here would depend on how many possibilities there are for the "String Values" in the BIC, DTC Partic" and so on fields.

Do any of the lines in what will be separate database records pair up with each other? If so, how do you identify the link?

Sometimes explaining what you need to someone else and thinking thru it on the message board is all you need.[/quote]I totally agree!

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Use a SUMMARY or filters to export the data in the format you require or print the table (or, perhaps better, the summary) after applying a filter and break the table up that way. But do let us know the answers.[/quote]I didn't go with a summary, I need to do more learning about them.[/size][/QUOTE]As previously mentioned, well worth the short amount of time it takes to get an impression of what Summaries can do. That said there are times when they offer so much potential for interesting analysis it is difficult to stop playing with them!

Have fun.

Grant