3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Quotation Mark in Repot File Problem

BLN _

Hi All - New to Monarch. I've a client-provided accounting detail TXT file where as part of an account name, they've used either a:

single quotation mark

the # sign

or other characters

to delineate some accounts.  As examples:

Sam Smith #

Sam Smith "

Sam Smith $

Sam Smith C

Sam Smith U

Where each of the three is an actual account name.

However,  I can't seem to define how to capture each of of the accounts all at once. By that I mean, if in the Sample Bar I include: Sam Smith #, the others don't get trapped.  I've tried using a Non-blank Trap after the space between Smith and the special character it still doesn't trap them all.

Oh whoa is me! I'm doomed!  All is lost!

Can anyone help me real fast? Thanks  BLN  :confused:

• Quotation Mark in Repot File Problem
          BLN _

Hi Todd - I've tried that approach and it still will not trap the Account with the single quotation mark ["]...The others trap fine.   Any other approaches or tricks?  Thanks BLN

Grant Perkins

Is there a reason why just using Sam Smith as the trap would/does not work?

Have you tried capturing everything in the account name and then filtering afterwards in the table?

Is there an equivalent Account Number (possibly number grouping?) that you could use?

If none of those work you may need to look at using an editor or the Datawatch provided MSRP utility (or something similar) to manipulate the file first and change the single quotation mark to something else, though I can't think why it causing a problem unless it is being ignored as a special character or is outside the range of ascii (or are you set to ansi?) characters available.

Grant

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by BLN:

Hi Todd - I've tried that approach and it still will not trap the Account with the single quotation mark ["]...The others trap fine.   Any other approaches or tricks?  Thanks BLN /b[/quote]Another thought. If you are specifying in the trap that must be a space and then another character the anomaly MIGHT be because what looks like one space is actually two (or more) spaces. Or two ' rather the one "

If you check that your display font is set to something like fixedsys any anomaly should become evident. Just a guess but I've been caught out like that before.

Grant