6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Model Documentation

Paul Wheeler

Hello!

Is there a conventient way to get a readable (not necessarily pretty) hard copy of the entire contents of a model - the report column definitions, any calculated values, summary definitions, filter specs and so forth in a single place, organized somehow? I'm thinking of something like the Model Information Dialog with more details about fields, columns and setting deeper down in the model.

• Model Documentation
          Winn _

The simple answer to your question is no there isn't. You could open a mod file with a text editor or word processor and try to make sense of what it contains. I have had to try and set up something myself to document my models. However, it is all manual entry, and created at the same time the model is.

• Model Documentation
            RGBrooks _

One thing I often do is to open a dialog box such as filters or click on a column in table view to bring up the column definition dialog box. Then with the window open do <Alt><Print Screen>, this copies the window to the clipboard, then open your word processor and paste <Ctrl><V>. Continue pasting individual dialog boxes into the document. Save it and after you have all the windows pasted into the your word processor then you can add text later.

• Model Documentation
              Tom Whiteside

Both Winn and Grant Perkins have wrestled with this for a long time.  Most users at my client company follow RG's advice and keep three-ring tabbed binders of model screen shots.  This is the easiest way to display filter logic   :eek:    and calculated field logic   :mad:    to new users.

• Model Documentation
                Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by Paul Wheeler:

Hello!

Is there a conventient way to get a readable (not necessarily pretty) hard copy of the entire contents of a model - the report column definitions, any calculated values, summary definitions, filter specs and so forth in a single place, organized somehow? I'm thinking of something like the Model Information Dialog with more details about fields, columns and setting deeper down in the model. /b[/quote]Paul, with Monarch V7's release last week, the answer to your above question is now "yes".  You can open a model or project in V7 and view the model and/or project information in an easy-to-read view.  Go to the Monarch homeage and check out the online V7 Upgrade brochure.  Automatic model and project content viewing is just the tip of the iceberg for V7 new features.

Mike

• Model Documentation
                  Bill Watson

Well we haven't tried this on models, but we did write a quick DPF analysis model here are work to extract the main information from the DPF files created by Datapump. Models are plain text files, it should be possible to use V5,6 or 7 to extract data from them to include in reports.

Just a thought.

Edit: You will probably have to copy your models somewhere else and rename them as .TXT to get monarch to open them as text files otherwise you will get an error.

[size="1"][ February 18, 2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Bill Watson ][/size]

• Model Documentation
                      Olly Bond

Hello everyone,

We've built a tool using Monarch and Visio that documents multiple projects and shows which exports are used as inputs by subsequent projects. While I'd been working on this initially for DataPump job logs, I've realised that many users combine multiple Monarch projects using batch files. I've rebuilt the tool to handle batch files instead of job logs - reading the inputs and exports from the project files and the lookups from the associated models.

The output can be seen at http://www.greenbar.info/examples/example.pdf[/url] - this is still in beta and I'm sure there are things that aren't properly picked up by the models, so I'd be very grateful for any example batch files, projects and models that you could send me so I can try to improve it!

Best wishes,

Olly