5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Trap Help...but

SteveK _

I need some help on either a multi-line or floating trap and am trying to paste some sample data but can't figure out how and retain the proper layout.  I searched on "paste sample data" but couldn't find a post on how to do this.  Can someone help?  And please forgive the novice question...

Steve

• Trap Help...but
          Nick Osdale-Popa

Use the tags [/code] around your report layout.

• Trap Help...but
            SteveK _

So, like this?  Hopefully, you can see from the data what I am up against.  This is a report that has 2 levels of sorts or subtotals; by Category and then by Facility.  I just can't seem to figure out if I need a multi-line or a floating trap and how to make either work. 

I need to start the data capture, for instance, at the Uts count which is one line above the Category, then end one line below the category, where there is a 0.00 number format.  I think I had the end field at one point, but then I started picking up the facility amounts in the table and got lost.

Hopefully I've added enough data to make sense out of it.

Thanks for any help

[font="courier"] (s16.6H

Date Printed:   02/03/2006                            Financial Analysis Report                                            Page 1

Time Printed:   15:32:21

-

Payments----- --Adjustments Down- Adjustments Up-

Uts    ExpPrimry   Charges Insurance      Resp Insurance      Resp Insurance      Resp   Balance

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

1         0         1         0         1         0         0         0         0

2) Category NONE                                        27.75              -27.75                 .00                 .00

.00                 .00                 .00                 .00                 .00

4         4         4         4         1         4         0         0         0

2) Category B444                                       398.00               -8.06                 .00                 .00

398.00             -281.13             -108.81                 .00                 .00

1         1         1         1         1         1         0         0         0

2) Category HKLH                                       113.00              -14.31                 .00                 .00

71.53              -57.22              -41.47                 .00                 .00

6         5         6         5         3         5         0         0         0

1) Facility AGH4                                        538.75              -50.12                 .00                 .00

Date Printed:   02/03/2006                            Financial Analysis Report                                            Page 2

Time Printed:   15:35:13

-

Payments----- --Adjustments Down- Adjustments Up-

Units  ExpPrimry   Charges Insurance      Resp Insurance      Resp Insurance      Resp   Balance

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

469.53             -338.35             -150.28                 .00                 .00

1         1         1         1         2         1         0         0         0

2) Category BJKE                                       113.00               -7.15                 .00                 .00

113.00              -64.38              -41.47                 .00                 .00[/font][/quote]

• Trap Help...but
              Grant Perkins

Steve,

Based on the sample you seem to have consistent 3 line record with the Category identified on the second line.

That suggests using a 3 line sample, trapping on the second line using the word Category.

It looks like you should then be able to paint all the fields you need for each record and name them accordingly.

If you trap using 'Category' in the position where it appears on the line it should also avoid the Facility section, though you may want to consider capturing which facility the Category data relates to using a Footer append template.

This would seem to be the simplest way but there are other possibilities if I have missed something that would prevent use as outlined.

HTH.

Grant

• Trap Help...but
                SteveK _

I can't believe I missed it--doing it that way.  That's rather straight forward     (kind of embarrassing)

Now, I got it to pull the data, but when I try to append the facility, it appends to the date BELOW it, instead of ABOVE it, and I can use more than a one line trap on a footer.  I suppose the one line will work though, since at this point, the Facility identifier is all I need.

Thanks so much for the help--one day, I'll get good at this

• Trap Help...but
                  Grant Perkins

Originally posted by SteveK:

Now, I got it to pull the data, but when I try to append the facility, it appends to the date BELOW it, instead of ABOVE it, and I can use more than a one line trap on a footer.  I suppose the one line will work though, since at this point, the Facility identifier is all I need.

Thanks so much for the help--one day, I'll get good at this /b[/quote]Hi Steve,

From the sample you posted I would guess that the date (part of the page header aera?) should either be an Append or indeed perhaps a Page Header append type. The facility information looks like it should be a single row FOOTER.

The basic rule is that APPENDS (including Page Header types) come BEFORE detail lines and FOOTERS come after.

Sometimes it is possible to bend such rules slightly in the case of Appends but that's something for another day.

If you have Version 8 you can define more than one Footer if you need to. Version 7 and earlier allows just one footer. (So it can be quite a challenge if there was a need for more than one footer section.

Glad you got some resolution. I think we all find it difficult to really 'see' things sometimes - I know I do.

Have fun.

Grant