10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Bruce _ RSS

Calculating summary field

ndello _

I have a summary report that lists 3 columns,

Broker, Commodity, count

If broker A has a count of 3, how can I calculate 3*10 so I can see 30 in another column?

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Neil

• Calculating summary field
          Bruce _

Neil

Use a calculated field in the summary box. Something like :

COUNT(*) * 10

Let us know how you make out.

ndello _

Thanks Bruce, can you be more specific as to where this goes?

Thanks

Bruce _

Neil

You said summary report, so assumed you were using the summary window in Monarch. Todd is 100 % corrrect if you were actually in the table window, and needed to do the formula there.

However if you actually mean the summary window, create a new summary and drag the field Count into the measure part of the window. Now right click this field, hit properties, calculations, edit, then add 10 to the end of the line that shows count(), so it now reads "count(*) *10". Make sure that you have your key fields set up corectly, and then you are done.

If you also need the count function but without the *10, drag count over to the measure pane twice, but only modfy one of them.

Good luck

ndello _

Thank you Todd and Bruce, I still have problems:

I am using Monarch 6.01 is it different?  Because I see no measure part of the window in the summary window.

ndello _

Hi Todd, here is the problem, in the calculations tab, there is no Edit button.  I'm not sure what to do from here.

Thanks for your time

Grant Perkins

I think you will have a problem  - the functionality referred to arrived with Version 7 if I recall correctly.

For what it is worth I can heartily recommend an upgrade to V8. Whilst V6 is an excellent tool V8 takes you to another set of levels.

Sorry to disappoint.

Plan B would be to make a 2 stage pass. Use you first summary to export the result (as a report, a delimited files or directly to Excel for example) and then read this back into Monarch where you could perform the calculation in the table ready for whatever you next process is. Quite easy to set up with a small .bat file. But you probably know that already.

I would go with the upgrade if at all possible.

Grant

ndello _

Thanks Grant,

I actually do the export into excel and have some vb to create what I need.  But doing it all in Monarch is of course preferable.

Money for upgrades is just not there right now, but by coming here and showing the difference between V 6 and 8 will hopefully help get some cash flowing, lol.

Thanks for all your help

ndello _

Hi guys, I'm back and with 8.01, woohoo

Anyway, How can I use an if command.

I have a field in a summary window that sometimes has a negative number.

What I want to say is, if the sum <0, then times by -1, else sum normally.

Can this be done, thanks

Neil

ndello _

Got it, I created an if statement in a new field in the table view, then used that field in the summary.

Bruce _

Neil

Glad you got version 8 along with your problem! It's a great update to the prior versions.