4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Mike Urbonas RSS

Pre-newbie question

Wil _

I would like to know if your product is able to extract data that is configured like this:

0228475     Last First M                           F     W     4/28/78     7/9/02     7/9/02

1601      Street Blvd.                                                      AUSTIN            TX     78701   

Charge Code     Charge Wording                         Level     Cause Number     Disp

0600                          Apple (MC)                                   C           RETA

3701                          TRAFFIC OFFENSE MULT                         C      SEE REMARKS      BDPR

3701                          TRAFFIC OFFENSE MULT                         C      SEE REMARKS      BDPR

4200                          INS DETAINER                                 F           XINS

3799                          TRAFFIC OFFENSE SING                         C           SCOM

I would need the unique ID, First, Last, Mailing Address and everthing under the Charge Code line.  Now, to add to the challenge there may be multiple 'charges' or just one.  But each record would have a 7 digit ID and each 'charge' would need to have this ID too...

:confused:  Right now I am doing it the ol' bear skins and knives way of cutting and pasting in Excel.  I know that there is an easier way - I hope that Monarch can do it!

Thanks!

• Pre-newbie question
          Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by Wil:

I would like to know if your product is able to extract data that is configured like this:

[font="courier"]0228475     Last First M                           F     W     4/28/78     7/9/02     7/9/02

1601      Street Blvd.                                                      AUSTIN            TX     78701   

Charge Code     Charge Wording                         Level     Cause Number     Disp

0600                          Apple (MC)                                   C           RETA

4200                          INS DETAINER                                 F           XINS

3799                          TRAFFIC OFFENSE SING                         C           SCOM[/font][/quote]I would need the unique ID, First, Last, Mailing Address and everthing under the Charge Code line.  Now, to add to the challenge there may be multiple 'charges' or just one.  But each record would have a 7 digit ID and each 'charge' would need to have this ID too...

:confused:   Right now I am doing it the ol' bear skins and knives way of cutting and pasting in Excel.  I know that there is an easier way - I hope that Monarch can do it!

Thanks! [/b][/quote]Wil,

In Monarch terms, your "Detail" trap should focus on capturing data fields in the lines below "Charge Codes", etc.

All the other data can be captured by defining "Append Level" traps.

Take some time with the Moanrch Learning Guide to understand the basics of model building and it will become clear that Monarch will let you put away the bear hunting gear for good. 

BTW - anyone who wants to post a portion of an actual report should do so by first clicking on the CODE button below to add the appropriate UBB code to your message - it will then diaplay the report excerpt properly, with a "block" font.

• Pre-newbie question
            Tom Whiteside

Good advice, Mike, to use the CODE button to post formatted blocks of code.  However, there is a severe readability problem that sneaks in, since there is no word wrap when using code blocks.  As any reader of the three posts that make up this topic can see, they now occupy about twice the width of the normal screen and are extremely difficult to read. We all have to keep scrolling back and forth with every sentence to read the posts.

Two veteran code posters, Winn and Grant, follow Winn's advice on this:  "However, when you use code blocks, there is no word wrap.  So, I have to hit Enter at the end of each line.  I, also, preview my posts to make sure that I do not have any long lines.  It takes a little bit of extra work, but for me it is worth it."

I would strongly encourage anyone posting code to this Forum to do the same.  Otherwise, some of the valuable and informative posts may not get thoroughly read - - simply because they are too difficult to endlessly scroll through like a pendulum.

• Pre-newbie question
              Wil _

:eek:   WOW!    :eek:     I haven't bought the software yet - I have reviewed the demo's and from your replies, Monarch would be the best way to go!  Oh, thanks for the tip on the 'code' button!

Take some time with the Moanrch Learning Guide to understand the basics of model building and it will become clear that Monarch will let you put away the bear hunting gear for good.   /quoteIs this available on line or is it in the download?

Thanks again!

[size="1"][ March 06, 2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Wil ][/size]

• Pre-newbie question
                Mike Urbonas

Hi Wil, yes you will get the Learning Guide either as part of your electronic download purchase of Monarch via our website (http://www.datawatch.com/dataconversionsoftware/buy_now.htm[/url]) or if you purchase a boxed copy of Monarch.

Beyond, the training guide, our Monarch Training classes receive acrodss-the-board rave reviews as well: [url="http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/training.htm"]http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/training.htm[/url]

Welcome to the amazing world of Monarch  

Mike