5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by paul goodwin RSS

Cannot open file

Gene _

I'm running into a strange problem and was wondering if anyone else has encountered it.

I opened a report with Monarch, went to table view and exported the data to excel.

I opened a second report and when I tried to export this data to the same excel file, I'm getting the error message "Cannot open file.  File may be locked or in use by another application."

I know for a fact that the file isn't open, and it appears that the first export worked okay.

Is Monarch somehow 'not finishing the process' from the first export?

In addition when I now go to open the spreadsheet using excel, I'm told the spreadsheet is locked for editing because I have it open.  (Which I don't).

Upon rebooting, when I start to shutdown, task manager tells me that the "DDE Server Window" has stopped responding.

I running on a Win2000 machine as the Admin and I'm using Excel 2000.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

[size="1"][ February 28, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Gene ][/size]

• Cannot open file
          Tom Whiteside

Gene,

The problem may very well be with your server, and may need to be referred to IT.  Our company had a similar problem when we did a company-wide upgrade from Win95 to WinXP.  I had the same problem and same error message as you do, only with exporting to Access.  Same inability to open the file.  In addition, Windows Explorer would not delete files, and would give the same "locked or in use" message.

Our IT department finally re-booted our server, and the problems went away.  They confessed later that their intent was to re-boot immediately after the WinXP upgrade, but several of our consultants had them delay for a couple of weeks until an outside project had been finished.

Hopefully, another Forum poster can come up with something more specific that you can do, but I would go ahead and talk to IT about a server re-boot.

Good luck!

• Cannot open file
            Gene _

Everything is stored locally on my machine, and I disabled my network connection, so I'm not sure how the server should affect this...

• Cannot open file
              Grant Perkins

Gene,

NT/XP seems to have some odd problems related to 'ownership', either of files, directories or registry entries, that result in this type of message. Kind of the right message - can't access the file - but maybe the helpful reason is misleading.

It might be worth checking that out and making sure that the user you are functioning as has access to the whole relevant filing system.

If that fails I can provide the address of a useful rest asylum where you can recuperate from your frustrations ...        

Originally posted by Gene:

Everything is stored locally on my machine, and I disabled my network connection, so I'm not sure how the server should affect this... /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ February 28, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Cannot open file
                Gareth Horton

Gene

If this happens repeatedly, trying unchecking the Excel formatting option and trying it.

If this resolves the problem, there may be some issue with Excel not shutting down properly when Monarch uses it to format the file.

Take a look at the task list for Excel.exe and if it is there, but you can't see it in your taskbar, it has probably not shut down properly.

You can then do an end process on it, which should clear the locks on the file.

Maybe an Office service pack might help.

Gareth

Originally posted by Gene:

I'm running into a strange problem and was wondering if anyone else has encountered it.

I opened a report with Monarch, went to table view and exported the data to excel.

I opened a second report and when I tried to export this data to the same excel file, I'm getting the error message "Cannot open file.  File may be locked or in use by another application."

I know for a fact that the file isn't open, and it appears that the first export worked okay.

Is Monarch somehow 'not finishing the process' from the first export?

In addition when I now go to open the spreadsheet using excel, I'm told the spreadsheet is locked for editing because I have it open.  (Which I don't).

Upon rebooting, when I start to shutdown, task manager tells me that the "DDE Server Window" has stopped responding.

I running on a Win2000 machine as the Admin and I'm using Excel 2000.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene /b[/quote]

• Cannot open file
                  paul goodwin

Gene

Did you find a solution to your problem, as having upgraded to Windows XP and Excel 2002 I have just encountered exactly the same error message when exporting to Excel from Monarch and would like to give our IT department some guidance on how to resolve it?

Thanks

Paul