9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2015 4:00 AM by Scott Preston RSS

Single and Multiple Detail Lines Trapping

BOBBY T

Q: I am trying to trap detail from a report that can have multiple and single detail lines as show n below

I,E Field Names Below with detail lines

Order# Type Product Amount

1225   C    CAR     3,000

1226   W    WHEEL     300

T    TIRE      250

R    RIMS      275

1227   M    MOTOR   1,000

I am successful in trapping the first line in each order. As for orders with multiple lines, I have not been able to trap correctly.  How is this done.

[size="1"][ February 19, 2003, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: BOBBY T ][/size]

• Single and Multiple Detail Lines Trapping
          Mike Urbonas

Bobby, all you have to do is create a model that captures all 4 fields of data.  Then in the Table view, double click on the Order# column to get to the Field Properties screen.  Select "Fill empty cells with value from previous record" and in your example the Order# 1226 will appear in all three lines of data for that order.

Mike Urbonas

Product Marketing Manager

Datawatch Corporation

LRadon _

I am not sure if I should have opened a new topic, because I am not replying to Bobby's post, however, my own Monarch problem involves multiple line trapping.

My report has a Header trap to extract a four digit code from and the date of the report. This works.

Then I have three lines of data to extract per "record". There's the detail trap followed by 2 append traps. The append traps work, but, the problem lies in the detail trap. For some reason, only in a few records, the detail trap is either not highlighting any of the fields, or some of the fields, or highlights partial characters of some of the fields. Or even a combo of all three. Maybe 5 or so "records" are being affected by this.

I used mostly the "non-blank trap" because I was having such a hard time getting the detail trap set up. However, when I new for sure when to use the alpha trap/numeric trap, I used those. I've tried to see what is different about the uncaught data and think that my trap should work.

Can someone help?   :confused: 

Thanks, Laura

Tom Whiteside

Laura, by any chance are your append fields on the same line as the first line of your detail fields?  Your situation sounds extremely similar to a problem another member and I worked to solve last year.  Also, are either of your append fields multiple lines?

The solution to last year's problem was two models applied in sequence, the first to capture the variable-line append fields and export to a simple database, and the second to join the detail fields to the append fields.  It's much easier than it sounds.

Please feel welcome to forward me a copy of your text report, with or without your model.

Best wishes,

Tom

Grant Perkins

Bobby,

Just a thought - you're not by any chance using the Order# position in the trap are you? That would cause the problem you describe.

Grant

Originally posted by BOBBY T:

Q: I am trying to trap detail from a report that can have multiple and single detail lines as show n below

I,E Field Names Below with detail lines

Order# Type Product Amount

1225   C    CAR     3,000

1226   W    WHEEL     300

T    TIRE      250

R    RIMS      275

1227   M    MOTOR   1,000

I am successful in trapping the first line in each order. As for orders with multiple lines, I have not been able to trap correctly.  How is this done. /b[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Laura,

Every now and again you can get some difficult to see discrepancies in a report or its output format that can completely throw the results from an otherwise successful model. Been there many a time. Can be difficult to spot when you are close to the problem - it's probably the one thing that cannot possibly be wrong!

Are you sure you meant to indicate thet your APPEND traps FOLLOW your detail trap? That can be a challenging concept and produce some unexpected results from time to time. Possible, but care required.

Like Tom's offer, if you can and wish to make the report available (or a sample that exhibits the problem) I would be happy to have a look at it and see if I can suggest anything.

Send me a private message and I'll give you an email address to use.

Grant

Originally posted by LRadon:

I am not sure if I should have opened a new topic, because I am not replying to Bobby's post, however, my own Monarch problem involves multiple line trapping.

My report has a Header trap to extract a four digit code from and the date of the report. This works.

Then I have three lines of data to extract per "record". There's the detail trap followed by 2 append traps. The append traps work, but, the problem lies in the detail trap. For some reason, only in a few records, the detail trap is either not highlighting any of the fields, or some of the fields, or highlights partial characters of some of the fields. Or even a combo of all three. Maybe 5 or so "records" are being affected by this.

I used mostly the "non-blank trap" because I was having such a hard time getting the detail trap set up. However, when I new for sure when to use the alpha trap/numeric trap, I used those. I've tried to see what is different about the uncaught data and think that my trap should work.

Can someone help?    :confused:  

Thanks, Laura /b[/quote]

• Re: Single and Multiple Detail Lines Trapping
                      Scott Preston

I think I am having a similar problem.  I have data that consists of a date, description amount and then in some cases has a second line with additional description information.  I can successfully trap the first line with the date.  When I try to trap the 2nd line that only occurs in some cases, I get funky results that don't line up in all cases. 

Sample data:

DATE           DESCRIPTION                    DEBITS          CREDITS          

06/05 DEPOSIT                                                    65.00          

06/09 AC-FASHION BUG     -PAYMENT               38.00                           

06/10 WTHDRL DDA 9869 06/10    07:39           101.50                           

1234 MADEUP RD SOMETOWN XX                                              

06/11 WTHDRL DDA 2693 06/11    07:01            61.50                           

06/16 DEPOSIT                                                   400.00          

06/18 CKCD DEBIT  06/16   PREMIERE             342.95                           

BUSN INC000-12345678  XX                                                  

06/19 WTHDRL DDA 8329 06/19    14:50            21.50                           

When I trap, I tried using a detail trap to get the date lines and an append or group footer to get the 2nd line... but that was failing.  I tried doing the 2nd line as a detail line and the date line as an append.  That seems to work in most cases, but entire lines also seem to be missing.

Help!

Olly Bond

Hello Scott,

This is the Missing Detail problem - there are a few techniques that can help. What version are you using?

Best wishes,

Olly

Olly Bond

Hello Scott,

Sorry - my earlier post was from my phone where I didn't see your report properly as it was all wrapped around. I think you can do this just using the Advanced Field Properties. Define a one line detail trap and then go into the advanced properties for Description, and set it to end on "Blank Field Values". The Address field in Lesson10 with Classic.prn uses a similar approach to handle text that can be 4 or 5 lines long. This should work in v4 and upwards...

Best wishes,

Olly

Scott Preston

Olly,

That's exactly what I needed.  Thank you very much for your assistance.  This worked perfectly.

Sincerely,

Scott Preston, CPP, CFE | VP, Business Analysis| Global Security & Investigations

Financial Crimes & Fraud Management Group

TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank

NJ5-007-128 | 9000 Atrium Way, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

T: 856 470 3744 | M: 856 818 3744 | F: 856 778 8332