2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Version 3

jimmymed _

Hello,

In version 3 of Monarch are there any problems with German characters, such as umlauts? Can this cause characters such as names to appear differently.

Thanks.

• Version 3
          Gareth Horton

One thing to look out for is the character set being used in the input file.

You need to make sure you are using the right setting in Monarch, either ASCII or ANSI.

Gareth

Originally posted by jimmymed:

Hello,

In version 3 of Monarch are there any problems with German characters, such as umlauts? Can this cause characters such as names to appear differently.

Thanks. /b[/quote]

• Version 3
            Grant Perkins

You can sometimes have problems if the original  report was produced on a German Language based system where there will often be a character substitution which may not match the standard extended characters over 127 for example. Various Unix implementations have different substitutions for example and data conversion can be quite interesting at times. It used to be quite a big problem but I'm not sure if convergence has helped the situation over recent years.

One way around the problem (providing you are not needing to re-export the results in the original 'language' if you see what I mean) is to change the character code (e.g. the ascii number) in the input file. The MSRP utility will allow you to do this.

To identify which change(s) you need to apply use the ASC() function on a data field which shows a wrong character. That will tell you the ascii number for the character it is displaying.

Look up the ascii value of the character you expected to see in an ascii code table (Various sources - available as a download from the Monarch support pages). This will typicaly be a value of 128 or above. For instance lover case u with an umlaut is ascii 252. Uppercase U umlaut is 220 and so on.

So you can then use MSRP on the original file swap from the original character to the alternative (i.e. 220 or 252).

I hope this makes some sense. It is easier to demonstrate than to describe.

If it doesn't make sense let me know and I will try to provide a clearer example.

Grant

Originally posted by jimmymed:

Hello,

Thanks. /b[/quote]