2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by jeff _ RSS

Newbie question on "End Field On"

jeff _

I've searched the Knowledgebase but can't find the answer to this one.

My trap is working fine; but I need to grab all text UNTIL a specific text string is encountered.

How?

I'm using XP with 5.02 Standard.

Thanks.

• Newbie question on "End Field On"
          Grant Perkins

Jeff,

Is the text string that you want to stop at always in the same position in the data, or at least the same position in the row?

If it is you should be able to create another template which traps on that text. Make a field based on one or more characters of that text (or immediately after it it the text is to be included in your extraction).

Go back to your previous template that extracts the data you require. I assume that you are identifying a start line trap in the template and want to grab all text, no matter how many lines, until the next occurrence of your 'stop' text. In that case set up the field you have already created to 'start' on line 1 and, using the OPTIONS, to 'end' on 'Minimum Action Only'. That will stop the text field when it comes across another template - your dummy field. You can of course 'hide' the dummy field.

That should do it. I'm looking at 5.02 Pro but I don't think that is a problem.

HOWEVER .. there are always possibilities that other factors might get in the way. Reports are like that!

Also if the text you want to end at is 'floating' horizontally on the line you probably won't be able to devise a trap for it using 5.02 . Not as simplistically  as I have described anyway. May need V6 for that, unless anyone else has a better suggestion. (Which is quite possible!)

If this doesn't work we may need some more details and data samples to play with. That would help to visualise the problem.

Grant

Originally posted by jeff:

I've searched the Knowledgebase but can't find the answer to this one.

My trap is working fine; but I need to grab all text UNTIL a specific text string is encountered.

How?

I'm using XP with 5.02 Standard.

Thanks. /b[/quote]

• Newbie question on "End Field On"
            jeff _

I solved it--!

The ending text string WAS in the same place, and was unique in the data. I simply launched a "find and replace" scheme (outside of Monarch, of course) to insert a space before the string; (i.e., I replaced:

"text string"

with

" text string"

and used the "End of Left Justification" option as the "End Field On" option.

Works perfectly.

Thanks Grant!