9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Footer -- some detail with, some without

Becky _

I have a report where I want to pick up a footer, but only if it exists for that detail record.

Example: For people with payroll hours, there is a footing after every employee record.  For those on vacation or absent, it lists the employee record (detail line), but there is no footing.

What's happening is it keeps on searching until it finds criteria to match, which means that for those absent, it's picking up the next person's footer.

I understand the logic, I just don't know how to get around it?  Anyone know a way?

• Footer -- some detail with, some without
          Grant Perkins

Becky,

Does your report have multiple details lines for each employee record?

If it does, do you need to keep each line as a separate detail or could you select all the fields you need from the multiple lines as one detail record?

Is the 'footer' line always at a fixed position related to anything else? Does it offer a possiblity to select based on a 'preceding string' start of field option?

It may be possible to do something using a multiline append providing you can persuade Monarch that no part of your append field(s) fall after the end of the detail template.

Grant

Originally posted by Becky:

I have a report where I want to pick up a footer, but only if it exists for that detail record.

Example: For people with payroll hours, there is a footing after every employee record.  For those on vacation or absent, it lists the employee record (detail line), but there is no footing.

What's happening is it keeps on searching until it finds criteria to match, which means that for those absent, it's picking up the next person's footer.

I understand the logic, I just don't know how to get around it?  Anyone know a way?[/b][/quote]

Mike Urbonas

Becky,

Can you give a little more info regarding your payroll report example: What information appears in the footer lines that do appear in the report, that you want to capture?

Can you post a part of the report ("scrubing" out, of course, any real names, etc.)?  If you can post a sample part of the report, be sure to click the CODE button and the report sample will display the line breaks and text properly.

Mike

[size="1"][ December 12, 2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Mike Urbonas ][/size]

Becky _

I attempted to add a sample below -- if that doesn't work, I am also sending you an e-mail with a file attached. 

The concept is pretty basic.  There is a detail line (header) for each employee with clock-no, name.  If they have hours for that day they are recapped -- following all their punch detail (footer); if they were absent, there is no recap.

I'd like Monarch to record "blank" for the footer if it can't find any recap information before the next detail line. 

[font="courier"] Punch Detail Report                                                                                Page 0001

12/02/02                                                                                12/11/2002 09:01

All accounts, all pay rules, all Timekeeper terminal groups

-

11407MXXXXXX  CXXXXXA R.         01                      A

ID IN   Dept ACTIVITY       OUT    ID IN   Dept ACTIVITY       OUT      TOTALS

Mon 12/02 ABSENT                                                               (0:00)      

-

11410KXXXX KXXXX J.              01                      A

Mon 12/02 ABSENT                                                               (0:00)      

-

11304SXXXXX, XXX T.              10                      12 Hour Fixed

Mon 12/02  0555                     1801*I                                     12:00   12:00

Add Punch     248 12/02 0555                                                                               

Remove Punch  248 12/05 0544                                                                               

Acct:10  

REGULAR:     12:00  SCH PREM:     12:00

-

21173LXXXXX, BXXXX               20                      A

Mon 12/02  0646*G                   1505                                        8:00    8:00

Acct:20  

REGULAR:      8:00

DT HRS:      8:00   HNW HRS:     16:00   STR. OT:      8:00

-

/font[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Becky,

Is the report ever run for more than one day?

Are there a significant number of variable fields which may or may not be displayed in the recap area of the output? ( I have assumed that you may need to provide a breakdown analysis by the different fields you have included)

Grant

Originally posted by Becky:

I attempted to add a sample below -- if that doesn't work, I am also sending you an e-mail with a file attached. 

The concept is pretty basic.  There is a detail line (header) for each employee with clock-no, name.  If they have hours for that day they are recapped -- following all their punch detail (footer); if they were absent, there is no recap.

I'd like Monarch to record "blank" for the footer if it can't find any recap information before the next detail line.

Winn _

Becky,

I have created a model that will work for the sample that you provided. It assumes a couple of things that may or may not be true.  When you answer Grant's questions, I will know if it will work for you or not. I also need some time to figure out what I did to make it work. This was one of those times when I was just playing around with it and VOILA!, the model worked.     Now I have find out what I did right.

I'll get back with you later.

Grant Perkins

I thought perhaps I would post what I have so far based on the sample as it looks. If it fixes your problem it would be great to have a look at it soonest I guess - and I will be asleep before your work day ends - probably! (Due to Time difference - although I may stay up to see what Winn comes up with - it's bound to be good.)

I looked at it differently to you I think.

First I decided to make the detail the Day date line.

Mon   12/02  ABSENT  etc.

for example. I trapped on the "/" and set a data field for the portion of the line that shows ABSENT or the IN time. (Gives a check. Recap fields should be blank if this field = ABSENT)

I set up a PAGE HEADER to pick what you see as the detail line - Employee Number and Name and whatever else you want. I think this could as easily be an append line.

I set up another append based on the same trap line as the detail line (but using a different trap setting to differentiate it from the detail. I set a 3 Alpha trap for the abbreviated Day name and also used the "/" but there are several options (I think). (Have now checked and this also works if you make it a footer template it seems)

You need to set this template to have as many rows as you may find in the 'recap' data area. Or more specifically as many rows as you want to extract data from in the recap area. (This is because you have 'columns' of data and field cannot be overlapped in the same template. I suspect that a single row might work as long as the field it selected were in different column positions)

Use the recap area rows when defining the trap, but format the trap as described above.

Highlight the data field(s) you want. I'm assuming the field prompt/descriptions are available for all required fields at this point. For each field use the Advanced Field properties and set the field to START after a Preceding String, that string being whatever appear immediately to the laft of the field.

For example the field after "Regular:" should have Regular entered, etc. As long as there is some consitency of format and position (and no duplication of the preceding string on the report!) this should work. (If you do have duplication of preceding strings only the first field will be extracted).

HOWEVER - there may be things in your full report that would make this fail. More than one day reported would likely be a problem for example. (Have now tried this and it seems OK EXCEPT you will get the fotter data repeated for each detail record.)

There may be other anomalies that are not brought to light by a small sample - but would be if you can apply it quickly to a full report.

All of this may, of course, be rubbish depending upon your answers to the other questions or indeed other aspects of the format of a complete report.

By the way I used V6 for this but none of the features that are specific to V6 as far as I know.

I can send the model if you let me have an email address.

Grant

[size="1"][ December 12, 2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

Mike Urbonas

Grant, you're stealing my thunder, pal! 

I am writing up a response as a Q&A piece for the Monarch Newsletter next week!

Mike

Winn _

Becky,

Here is my solution to your problem. It makes the following assumptions:

1. You are using Monarch v6.

2. There is only one day per employee.

3. You do not need the "Add Punch" or "Delete Punch" lines.

4. There are a maximum of two lines in the "recap".

Given these assumptions, here is what I came up with.

1. Highlight the detail line through the two recap lines of the last employee in the sample you provided.

2. Set up a detail template based on these lines. Trap on the first line. Use the "/","." or qhatever you want to use.

3. Set up the fields that you want to capture. As Grant stated above, use the Start Field on... Preceding String: option on the Advanced tab for each of the fields in the recap area.

4. Highlight the line with the employee name and id.

5. Set up an  Append[/b] template based on this line. Do not set this up as a page header! If you do that then anytime Monarch encounters an employee who was absent, it will give you bad results. This is what I changed that suddenly gave me a VOILA! moment with the correct results appearing.

6. Set up whatever fields you want in this template.

That is it. You should get the correct results based on your sample and the above assumptions. Let me know if this works for you.

Grant Perkins

Sorry Mike!

I look forward to reading the definitive answer though.

Winn's solution has a look of elegance as well.

BTW I like these challenges - they take you into areas you don't normally use because they come from a different data source/report style and so on, to the one you are used to working with. Often provides good insights into improvements for normal day to day processes as well. Keeps the grey cells warm (sometimes very hot!)

Grant

Originally posted by Mike Urbonas:

Grant, you're stealing my thunder, pal!    

I am writing up a response as a Q&A piece for the Monarch Newsletter next week!

Mike[/b][/quote]