3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Fred _ RSS

"Insufficient room on disk for file" error message

Mark Huston

Recently, I've been experiencing an odd problem. I open a large report, open the model, then select Table View. I get an error message, "Insufficient room on disk for file", followed by an error message "Cannot create temporary work file". I find that perplexing because I have 16 gigs free on a 20 gig hard disk, and 256 meg of RAM. It happens both when I try to open a report file from the network or a report file from my C: drive. I tried hard restarts a couple of times and that didn't help. Once I get that error message, I try to open a small report and get the same error message. Any thoughts?

• "Insufficient room on disk for file" error message
          Grant Perkins

Mark,

Sounds similar to something I had with some very large reports a year or so ago. I thought at the time it was related to hitting the old 8Gb disk size limit from earlier days ( I had 7 Gb used on 14 Gb drive) but Tech Support advised that I was wrong.

Don't have access to the email exchanges any more as far as I can see but from memory the fix was to increase the windows Virtual Memory setting to be at least twice the size of the installed RAM. I seem to remember that it needed to be a little more than twice the size but that might just be my memory playing tricks over time!

Mike or Gareth or Steve may be able to confirm this (or not if you have a different problem!). I can't remember which version I was using at the time. Either 5 or 6, probably 5 Pro.

Worth a try anyway. Hope it helps.

Grant

Originally posted by Mark Huston:

Recently, I've been experiencing an odd problem. I open a large report, open the model, then select Table View. I get an error message, "Insufficient room on disk for file", followed by an error message "Cannot create temporary work file". I find that perplexing because I have 16 gigs free on a 20 gig hard disk, and 256 meg of RAM. It happens both when I try to open a report file from the network or a report file from my C: drive. I tried hard restarts a couple of times and that didn't help. Once I get that error message, I try to open a small report and get the same error message. Any thoughts?[/b][/quote]

Grant Perkins

There is a post in the Knowledge Base related to getting this message. Just search on "Insufficient Room".

Gives a different answer to my previous post....

Grant

Originally posted by Mark Huston:

Recently, I've been experiencing an odd problem. I open a large report, open the model, then select Table View. I get an error message, "Insufficient room on disk for file", followed by an error message "Cannot create temporary work file". I find that perplexing because I have 16 gigs free on a 20 gig hard disk, and 256 meg of RAM. It happens both when I try to open a report file from the network or a report file from my C: drive. I tried hard restarts a couple of times and that didn't help. Once I get that error message, I try to open a small report and get the same error message. Any thoughts?[/b][/quote]

Fred _

Hello :I had the exact same problem, just increase your VM depending on how much memory (Ram) you have.  Btw I'm new to this forum, even though I have been using Monarch for 2 1/2 years.