6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

VB and Monarch

Stephen Reid

Hi all,

I use the following lines of code to automatically set text and model files to print the summaries.

[font="courier"]    Set Monarchobj = CreateObject("Monarch32")

openfile = Monarchobj.setreportfile("S:steve_rmonarchReportsFimsctfim.txt", False)

If openfile = False Then

End If

openfile = Monarchobj.setmodelfile("S:steve_rmonarchModelsFimsctfim2.mod")

If openfile = True Then

SummaryCount = Monarchobj.SummaryCount

For LoopCounter = 0 To (SummaryCount - 1) Step 1

Monarchobj.CurrentSummary = Monarchobj.GetSummaryNameAt(LoopCounter)

Monarchobj.printsummary (True)

Next LoopCounter

Else

End If

Monarchobj.closealldocuments

Monarchobj.Exit

Set Monarchobj = Nothing[/font][/quote]I know you can pass variables into the set file functions but does anyone know if you can pass an array of strings into them.  The reason for this is I have 10 different files which need to be printed together and at the moment I just repeat the above code 10 times.  If I can pass an array then at least I can just loop through each location of the array.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Stephen Reid

• VB and Monarch
          Stephen Reid

Hi again,

I had a bit of spare time on my hands and had a little play with this today.  I came up with the following code:

[font="courier"]    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim Monarchobj = CreateObject("Monarch32")         'Create the object

Dim openfile

Dim summaryCount, loopCounter, arrayCounter As Integer

Dim arrayReports() As String = {"ctfim.txt", "ctfim.txt", "ivfim.txt", "ivfim.txt", "pifim.txt", "pocofim.txt", "sofim.txt", "wofim.txt", "wofim.txt"}

Dim arrayModels() As String = {"ctfim.mod", "ctfim2.mod", "ivfim.mod", "ivfim2.mod", "pifim.mod", "pocofim.mod", "sofim.mod", "wofim.mod", "wofim2.mod"}

Dim reportPath As String = "S:steve_rmonarchReportsFims"

Dim modelPath As String = "S:steve_rmonarchModelsFims"

arrayCounter = 0

Do While arrayCounter <= 8

openfile = Monarchobj.setreportfile(reportPath & arrayReports(arrayCounter), False) 'Open the report file

openfile = Monarchobj.setmodelfile(modelPath & arrayModels(arrayCounter))  ' Open the model file

If openfile = True Then

summaryCount = Monarchobj.SummaryCount                 ' Determine the # of summaries

For loopCounter = 0 To (summaryCount - 1) Step 1

Monarchobj.CurrentSummary = Monarchobj.GetSummaryNameAt(loopCounter)         'Apply the Summary

Monarchobj.printsummary(True)

Next loopCounter

Else

End If

Monarchobj.closealldocuments()

Monarchobj.Exit()

Monarchobj = Nothing

arrayCounter = arrayCounter + 1

Loop

End Sub[/font][/quote]This works for the first report and model and prints out the summaries, however on the second iteration of the loop it breaks out at openfile = Monarchobj.setreportfile.  The error I get is

An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in microsoft.visualbasic.dll

Additional information: Object variable or With block variable not set.

/quoteDoes anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again

Stephen Reid

• VB and Monarch
            Stephen Reid

Sorry,

I think I'm cracking up!! I have now taken the following code out.

[font="courier"]            

Monarchobj.Exit()

Monarchobj = Nothing[/font][/quote]Unfortunately this doesn't work either.  It runs through the first 3 reports and models and then gets a Monarch.exe exception error when the 4th model tries to open.  I also get the follwoing error from VB:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in microsoft.visualbasic.dll

Additional information: The server threw an exception.

/quoteOnce again, can anyone help me?

Stephen Reid

• VB and Monarch
              Nick Osdale-Popa

I've come up with an Excel97 (it can be used with Access with slight modifications) Class Model that helped me load in several files to one model.

I'm quite prode of the code (though it's not well documented), so I'm not eager to post it here.  Not sure if I can call it my own since it is sort of an extension to what Datawatch provides in its Programmer's Guide. (What do you think, Datawatch, can I call the code proprietary?)

Um..um..hmmm..Send me a PM with your email and I'll send what I use. (I'm really reluctant to send it because I've worked so hard on it)  :rolleyes:

• VB and Monarch
                Gareth Horton

Nick

You can certainly put "Optimized by Nick", but we wouldn't want to lose the right to distribute the original code ourselves 

Gareth

Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

I've come up with an Excel97 (it can be used with Access with slight modifications) Class Model that helped me load in several files to one model.

I'm quite prode of the code (though it's not well documented), so I'm not eager to post it here.  Not sure if I can call it my own since it is sort of an extension to what Datawatch provides in its Programmer's Guide. (What do you think, Datawatch, can I call the code proprietary?)

Um..um..hmmm..Send me a PM with your email and I'll send what I use. (I'm really reluctant to send it because I've worked so hard on it)   :rolleyes: /b[/quote]

• VB and Monarch
                  Gareth Horton

Stephen,

Take a look at this.

Note I have changed a couple of things - the main problem was that you should have been instantiating and destroying the monarch object within the loop.

You were creating the object outside the loop, then destroying it in the loop, hence there was no object available on the second iteration.

Gareth

[font="courier"]  Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim Monarchobj

Dim openfile As Boolean

Dim openmod As Boolean

Dim arrayReports() As String = {"classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn", "classic.prn"}

Dim arrayModels() As String = {"lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod", "lesson12.mod"}

Dim reportPath As String = "c:program filesmonarch eports"

Dim modelPath As String = "c:program filesmonarchmodels"

Dim currentreport As String

Dim currentmodel As String

arrayCounter = 0

Monarchobj = CreateObject("Monarch32", "")

currentreport = reportPath & (arrayReports(arrayCounter))

currentmodel = modelPath & (arrayModels(arrayCounter))

openfile = Monarchobj.setreportfile(currentreport, False) 'Open the report file           

openmod = Monarchobj.setmodelfile(currentmodel) ' Open the model file  

If openmod = True Then

summaryCount = Monarchobj.SummaryCount ' Determine the # of summaries               

Monarchobj.CurrentSummary = Monarchobj.GetSummaryNameAt(loopCounter)         'Apply the Summary                   

'Monarchobj.printsummary(True)

Next loopCounter

Else

End If

Monarchobj.Exit()

Monarchobj = Nothing

Loop

End Sub /font[/quote][quote]Originally posted by Stephen Reid:

Hi again,

I had a bit of spare time on my hands and had a little play with this today.  I came up with the following code:

[font="courier"]    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim Monarchobj = CreateObject("Monarch32")         'Create the object

Dim openfile

Dim arrayReports() As String = {"ctfim.txt", "ctfim.txt", "ivfim.txt", "ivfim.txt", "pifim.txt", "pocofim.txt", "sofim.txt", "wofim.txt", "wofim.txt"}

Dim arrayModels() As String = {"ctfim.mod", "ctfim2.mod", "ivfim.mod", "ivfim2.mod", "pifim.mod", "pocofim.mod", "sofim.mod", "wofim.mod", "wofim2.mod"}

Dim reportPath As String = "S:steve_rmonarchReportsFims"

Dim modelPath As String = "S:steve_rmonarchModelsFims"

arrayCounter = 0

openfile = Monarchobj.setreportfile(reportPath & arrayReports(arrayCounter), False) 'Open the report file

openfile = Monarchobj.setmodelfile(modelPath & arrayModels(arrayCounter))  ' Open the model file

If openfile = True Then

summaryCount = Monarchobj.SummaryCount                 ' Determine the # of summaries

Monarchobj.printsummary(True)

Next loopCounter

Else

End If

Monarchobj.Exit()

Monarchobj = Nothing

Loop

End Sub[/font][/quote]This works for the first report and model and prints out the summaries, however on the second iteration of the loop it breaks out at openfile = Monarchobj.setreportfile.  The error I get is

/size[quote]quote:[/size]

An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in microsoft.visualbasic.dll

Additional information: Object variable or With block variable not set.

/quoteDoes anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again

Stephen Reid[/b][/size][/QUOTE]

• VB and Monarch
                    Nick Osdale-Popa

Not sure if you'll run into memory errors (lack of resources) that way or not. May want to create the object before the loop and then destroy it afterwards, that way only one object is being used.