5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

PAGE 0 Error (Datawatch, or others, please read)

Nick Osdale-Popa

I have an Excel 97 VBA Macro on a Win2kSP3 PC that runs Monarch (6.01Pro) to create a report file to email. It's been running fine for the past 3 months until yesterday and today.

Yesterday I recompiled the Excel file and it ran fine. Today, no luck.  I had set up a log file yesterday and it shows it got as far as loading in the files, erroring even before trying to load in the models.

I have the code to keep Monarch hidden, so I changed that and set a break point on my Error Routine.

When it stopped, I was able to click on the Monarch window. It was giving me a Page 0 not found error, and then it promptly closes on it's own.

The reports it loads are CSV files and do have data in them.

I tried:

• adding DoEvents procedures (to let the system run it's routines)

• Keeping Monarch visible

• copying all the routines and spreadsheets to another file.

but nothing seemed to help, I spent several hours this morning trying to come up with a solution, but Monarch kept erroring out.  I should state though, that if I step though the code line by line, it completes just fine, hence the reason I thought I would need the DoEvents command.

As I was writing the specs down for the computer, I ran it one more time and then it ran fine all the way through. I then ran it a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time and again it still ran fine. So I don't know what was causing the problem the several hours before hand. (No rebooting took place at all, as only now I'm thinking that could have helped.)

I also have a VBA routine in Access on the same computer that runs Monarch, but it appears to have had no problems. (I'm going to set up a log file for that one too, now that I think about it--just in case)

Any ideas on what causes the Page 0 error through VBA?

[size="1"][ November 15, 2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Nick Osdale-Popa ][/size]

• PAGE 0 Error (Datawatch, or others, please read)
          Gareth Horton

Nick

I have never seen that error "in the wild", but it sounds like Monarch is being put into a state where the model is loaded, it thinks the file is loaded and then it tries to act on the information in the model but the file is not there.

I have no idea how to force this behavior.

There is a possible related issue when you load a large number of reports into Monarch (as a group) in a loop then unexpected errors can occur, so the recommended method is to insert a small delay between loading the reports.

Posting the code might be useful for us to take a look.

Gareth

Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

I have an Excel 97 VBA Macro on a Win2kSP3 PC that runs Monarch (6.01Pro) to create a report file to email. It's been running fine for the past 3 months until yesterday and today.

Yesterday I recompiled the Excel file and it ran fine. Today, no luck.  I had set up a log file yesterday and it shows it got as far as loading in the files, erroring even before trying to load in the models.

I have the code to keep Monarch hidden, so I changed that and set a break point on my Error Routine.

When it stopped, I was able to click on the Monarch window. It was giving me a Page 0 not found error, and then it promptly closes on it's own.

The reports it loads are CSV files and do have data in them.

I tried:

• adding DoEvents procedures (to let the system run it's routines)

• Keeping Monarch visible

• copying all the routines and spreadsheets to another file.

but nothing seemed to help, I spent several hours this morning trying to come up with a solution, but Monarch kept erroring out.  I should state though, that if I step though the code line by line, it completes just fine, hence the reason I thought I would need the DoEvents command.

As I was writing the specs down for the computer, I ran it one more time and then it ran fine all the way through. I then ran it a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time and again it still ran fine. So I don't know what was causing the problem the several hours before hand. (No rebooting took place at all, as only now I'm thinking that could have helped.)

I also have a VBA routine in Access on the same computer that runs Monarch, but it appears to have had no problems. (I'm going to set up a log file for that one too, now that I think about it--just in case)

Any ideas on what causes the Page 0 error through VBA?[/b][/quote]

Nick Osdale-Popa

Originally posted by Gareth Horton:

There is a possible related issue when you load a large number of reports into Monarch (as a group) in a loop then unexpected errors can occur, so the recommended method is to insert a small delay between loading the reports.[/b][/quote]This was my thought, however I'm only loading in 2 files.  I added the DoEvents command (pauses execution of macro to allow the computer to do it's processes) to execute after each file is loaded but it didn't seem to help. I even wrapped a FOR...NEXT loop around the DoEvents to give the computer more time, but no luck.

Also, why would after 3 months of it working would it start having problems?

Grant Perkins

Nick,

Win2k it maybe but it's still windows!

Has anyone else got access to the machine? Could it be a permissions problem or some other security issue?

Alternatively could anyone else be running a process on the server (from another remote system for example) that uses all your processing time and causes Monarch to timeout with the error?

Grant

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Gareth Horton:

There is a possible related issue when you load a large number of reports into Monarch (as a group) in a loop then unexpected errors can occur, so the recommended method is to insert a small delay between loading the reports.[/b][/quote]This was my thought, however I'm only loading in 2 files.  I added the DoEvents command (pauses execution of macro to allow the computer to do it's processes) to execute after each file is loaded but it didn't seem to help. I even wrapped a FOR...NEXT loop around the DoEvents to give the computer more time, but no luck.

Also, why would after 3 months of it working would it start having problems?[/b][/size][/QUOTE]

Nick Osdale-Popa

Oooh, good thought, might be why I had problems this morning. However, the macro is scheduled to run at 4am. Also, it's been running fine for the past 3 months. We have the macro logging to a file and I have Monarch logging it's processes, which only states the files as being loaded, but not the models.

The only change that occurred is last week when the SysAdmin upgraded Win2K to SP3 and installed the recent security patches. But again, it ran fine up till yesterday.

Grant Perkins

Definitely ask the Sysadmin people if they can remember playing with any setting(s) (now they have some additional parameter to play with, or at least I assume they have).

On mixed O/S systems (MS Win something and Unix typically) I have come across problems like cross platform mapped drive links not auto re-instating after re-boot (so the file seems not to exist), overnight backup processes failing and leaving certain, but not all, processes excluded from the data files they need to see. File copies on a remote system creating the file name then failing, leaving an 'empty' file. Network traffic or other problems (especially overnight during backup activity) giving such poor performance that process will regularly time out.

Also backups, requiring exclusive system access that are now taking longer than they used to and simply overrun the start point for othr processes. This does not sound like your problem since you still hade the same problem latger in the day. However I have know the aftermath of overnight problems take several hours (days on a few exceptional occasions!) to resolve. This might apply especially where the process you see failing is reliant upon the production and delivery of a file from a third party system or location.

Just a few very generic thoughts. Add in some of the less well known features that I suspect live somewhere in the MS security settings and one might assume that it is a miracle that any of works at all! And when it does it is purely by chance! Black boxes and black magic.  :confused: 

Oooh, good thought, might be why I had problems this morning. However, the macro is scheduled to run at 4am. Also, it's been running fine for the past 3 months. We have the macro logging to a file and I have Monarch logging it's processes, which only states the files as being loaded, but not the models.

The only change that occurred is last week when the SysAdmin upgraded Win2K to SP3 and installed the recent security patches. But again, it ran fine up till yesterday.[/b][/quote]