3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by jthahc _ RSS

.RPT Files

jthahc _

I have a RPT file that I received along with a reader software (WINVIEW).  The RPT contains a fairly standard report with headings each page and body with data.  When I open the file in Monarch, the data and formating is completely lost or scrambled and has various characters.  Also, if I compare the scrambled data to the reader/actual view, it seems there is data missing as I try to match it up.

I tried using the "Options, Input" and making changes there, but still can't get the data to look good.

Is anyone familiar with what I may be experiencing?

Thanks!

[size="1"][ December 04, 2007, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: jthahc ][/size]

• .RPT Files
          Data Kruncher

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the .rpt file is one of those files that is either compressed or contains controls codes that a reader program interprets so that you can see the content properly. Crystal Reports writes .rpt files like this too.

If this is your software ([url="http://downloads.rjssoftware.com/docs/winview/winview400.htm"]Winview reader manual[/url]), I don't think you'll have much success.

I do see that they make a  [url="http://wiki.rjssoftware.com/wiki/index.php/ASCII/ANSI/TXT/PRN_Report_Converter/400"]file converter[/url], so if you can get the party that supplied you with the .rpt file to run that and then send ASCII output, you'll be on your way.

Alternatively I see that you can search (Edit, Find) then copy the search results to Excel or what have you, like Notepad. If you can search for a wildcard and get everything in the search results, then you'll be OK.

Hopefully this will work out for you one way or another.

Good luck,

Kruncher

• .RPT Files
            Nick Osdale-Popa

If possible, should be able to print the report to PDF with WinView and use the PDF as your source.

• .RPT Files
              jthahc _

Thanks for your responses.

I feared there would be a problem.  I could request a new file from the source, but it would take weeks I have some time constraints.

I also considered and tried printing to file from the reader, then planned to import to Monarch. However, the file is huge and it was taking a long time.  I may have had it set up incorrectly though.  Seems like my best option, so I'll try again.

Thanks again for your help!