3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by jthahc _ RSS

    .RPT Files

    jthahc _

      I have a RPT file that I received along with a reader software (WINVIEW).  The RPT contains a fairly standard report with headings each page and body with data.  When I open the file in Monarch, the data and formating is completely lost or scrambled and has various characters.  Also, if I compare the scrambled data to the reader/actual view, it seems there is data missing as I try to match it up.

       

      I tried using the "Options, Input" and making changes there, but still can't get the data to look good.

       

      Is anyone familiar with what I may be experiencing?

       

      Thanks!

       

      [size="1"][ December 04, 2007, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: jthahc ][/size]

        • .RPT Files
          Data Kruncher

          Hi and welcome to the forum.

           

          It sounds like the .rpt file is one of those files that is either compressed or contains controls codes that a reader program interprets so that you can see the content properly. Crystal Reports writes .rpt files like this too.

           

          If this is your software ([url="http://downloads.rjssoftware.com/docs/winview/winview400.htm"]Winview reader manual[/url]), I don't think you'll have much success.

           

          I do see that they make a  [url="http://wiki.rjssoftware.com/wiki/index.php/ASCII/ANSI/TXT/PRN_Report_Converter/400"]file converter[/url], so if you can get the party that supplied you with the .rpt file to run that and then send ASCII output, you'll be on your way.

           

          Alternatively I see that you can search (Edit, Find) then copy the search results to Excel or what have you, like Notepad. If you can search for a wildcard and get everything in the search results, then you'll be OK.

           

          Hopefully this will work out for you one way or another.

           

          Good luck,

          Kruncher

          • .RPT Files
            Nick Osdale-Popa

            If possible, should be able to print the report to PDF with WinView and use the PDF as your source.

            • .RPT Files
              jthahc _

              Thanks for your responses.

               

              I feared there would be a problem.  I could request a new file from the source, but it would take weeks I have some time constraints.

               

              I also considered and tried printing to file from the reader, then planned to import to Monarch. However, the file is huge and it was taking a long time.  I may have had it set up incorrectly though.  Seems like my best option, so I'll try again.

               

              Thanks again for your help!