2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by Michael Lane RSS

How to skip first character

Michael Lane

Hi,

It's been a while since I've used Monarch.  I'm using Monarch Pro 8. I have to model a report that contains a semicolon as the first character of the report.  Does anyone know of a way to coerce Monarch into skipping the first character?  On all other lines, 'D' represents the beginning of the line and the fields are fixed width.  The first line is just moved over by 1 due to the semicolon...

Here is a sample:

[font="courier"];DD99999999999 D9999999 15 11/13/07 1  LAST,FIRST                  

DREASON                                       CITY,STATE 

DD99999999999 D9999999 15 11/13/07 1  LAST,FIRST                  

DREASON                                       CITY,STATE

DD99999999999 D9999999 15 11/13/07 1  LAST,FIRST                  

DREASON                                       CITY,STATE[/font][/quote]Thanks,

Michael

• How to skip first character
          Data Kruncher

Without actually testing the idea before posting this suggestion, I'd think that this would be a good candidate for a floating trap. Have you tried that yet?

Update: I finally got a chance to try it and a floating trap works just fine with your sample.

I used the first two rows as the detail sample with AAN trap characters starting in position 2.

[size="1"][ November 26, 2007, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Data Kruncher ][/size]

• How to skip first character
            Michael Lane

Thanks!  I forgot about floating traps.  I never used them much before.  I guess I got hung up on the fact that it is a fixed width report, and didn't think of applying the floating trap.

Thanks again!