7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:54 AM by DNeufing _ RSS

MCR doesn't work

DNeufing _

Hi everybody,

i got a problem with monarch V7.00

my report file is as follows:

[font="courier"]

Jobname  Masknr Abteilg. Anwender Status     Funktionsschutz                                                                               

99997    999800 BATCH    UTM      ok 000000000000 000000000000 000000000000 000000000000                                 

99997    999800 01.04.03          ok 000000000000 000000000000 000000000000 000000000000                                 

AAn ...                                  Programmaufrufe f}r           Abteilung          - 99.99.99 Datum    00.00.00  Liste  AAAA

V:0000                                  per       26.06.00                                          Zeit     00.00.00 Seite   1

Abteilg. Anwender Anwender Anwender Anwender Anwender Anwender Anwender Anwender Anwedner Anwender Anwedner Anwender Anwedner    

â01.02.01 AAA      BBB      CCC      DDD      EEE      FFF      GGG      SCH                                                      

01.02.02 HHH      III      JJJ      KKK      LLL      MMM                                                         

/font[/quote]what is want is this:

[font="courier"]01.02.01 AAA

01.02.01 BBB

01.02.01 CCC

01.02.01 DDD

01.02.02 HHH

01.02.02 III

...[/font][/quote]but MCR turned on or off (in the template!) brings the same result:

[font="courier"]01.02.01 AAA

01.02.02 HHH[/font][/quote]so there are always only the first columns recorded.

the template marks all wanted fields grey but the result only shows the first column.

is it a bug?

am i doing wrong?

could anybody post a detailed description of how to build the templates?

thx!

DNeufing

• MCR doesn't work
          joey

Hi DNeufing , and welcome to the forum.

This is one of the more complex reports that I've dived into, and taught me a little about Monarch.  My solution was:

-Create an append template that picks up the "Abteilg" column.  I trapped on the two periods.

-Create another append template called Title that doesn't pick up anything.  It traps on your column titles

-Create a detail template that picks up only the first "Avwender" column, with a trap set on a non-blank character in the first position of the column, and a blank in the 4th position of the column.

-Template -> Multi-Column Region.

Check Mutli-Column Region is Active, 13 columns, 11 is the left position of the first column, and each column is 8 wide.  Set it to start after the template "Title".

Let me know if you have any questions, and how this works for you.

• MCR doesn't work
            Grant Perkins

Hello DNeufing,

Just to add to Joey's post addressing the missing columns, to get the display order you want you will need to sort the results.

In outline Monarch will appear to process down the first column, then the second column, then the third column and so on, usually that way for each page but I might guess that if you stop and start the MCR whilst in a 'page' the results could be different. (Remember a page is defined by the possihle use of a Page Header template in some situations.)

In the early releases of V7 there were a couple of difficult-to-find bugs. As far as I know they were resolved in the 7.02 release.

Reading the details about them suggests that they are not clearly related to your problem. However since one was to do with the MCR process stopping after a certain number of pages (a lot of pages) it is just possible that what you are reporting does not start from page one so, better than just asking the question, I thought I would mention that old problem.

I hope this information is useful to you in some way.

Grant

• MCR doesn't work
              DNeufing _

thank you so far.

Joey, thats what i did before, except for the "title" template.

the new template makes the MCR selection look much better because the early (not needed) information in the report is cut off.

but i still have only the first column selected in the table.

i think the problem is the repeating page header of the report document.

[font="courier"]AAn ...                                  Programmaufrufe f}r           Abteilung          - 99.99.99 Datum    00.00.00  Liste  AAAA

V:0000                                  per       26.06.00                                          Zeit     00.00.00 Seite   1[/font][/quote]the document is as follows:

first part are lots of records with "Jobname Masknr Abteilg Anwender Status Funktionsschutz" (approx. 100 pages)

second part is the part needed with "Abteilg. Anwender" (approx. 2 pages)

as you can see there are lots of page headers as mentioned above - also in part 2 (so the MCR is divided)

could this be the problem?

thx in advance

DNeufing

• MCR doesn't work
                Grant Perkins

DN,

For testing purposes can you edit the file to remove all the early unwanted pages and just leave the two pages you need?

There was a bug, as I mentioned earlier, in V7 and V7.01 that related to MCR functionality not processing all of the information on a page for reports with a lot of pages. (From memory I think the number of pages varied according to the required format of the columns for the extraction.)

I cannot be sure that you are seeing this bug (you may be running V7.02 for example) but the edit of the file to the two pages you need would help to identify where the problem starts.

HTH.

Grant

Edit to add reference to previous problem report.

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001216#000000"]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001216#000000[/url]

• MCR doesn't work
                  DNeufing _

thx grant, good idea testing w/o the unneccessary information on top of the report!

the model works, but the problem still exists as i can not automatically cut the irrelevant information. the whole job should be a scheduled batch without user interaction.

as i mentioned in my first post i have V7.00 but am not able to upgrade to 7.02.

any idea how to fix the problem or cut the report automatically?

many thx so far, you helped me catch the problem!

(should have been my idea    )

• MCR doesn't work
                    Grant Perkins

Originally posted by DNeufing:

i have V7.00 but am not able to upgrade to 7.02.

any idea how to fix the problem or cut the report automatically?

many thx so far, you helped me catch the problem!

(should have been my idea      ) /b[/quote]OK, if the V7.02 update is not possible (Is that a language version issues?) then the options that come first to mind are:

- Upgrade to Version 8 (or maybe even 9 soon?)

- if you write code it should be possible to to work out the rules for a program to edit the file and then submit it to Monarch (or just edit the file and run Monarch as a batch file or 'manually').

- use Monarch to strip the unwanted pages at the top of the report. If you can identify a rule that would allow the coding the same rule should be possible within Monarch.

It is a little difficult to make valid suggestions without being able to assess the whole report but here are some outline ideas.

1. Create a Monarch model that traps only the lines that are on the pages you need.

That could be difficult for sure if there is no clear way to identify them - but maybe we can create a way by adding some more ideas.

2. Make a model with no trap and at least a single field to extract every line. Work out how to filter the resulting table to leave only the lines from the pages you need.

3. Maybe the problem page header can help. Is there anything different about the page headers when the report gets to the pages you need? If there is you couold define a page header template, extract the identifying data and append that to the whole line fields. The use that as a filter.

(Something like that may also be useful for the first idea above if you then ...)

Once you have just the pages you want in the table (still looking like the original report lines) export the table to a new report file. (Probably without the extra append fields as you likely do not need them any more.)

Now you can read in the new, shorter report and the model you have will work. I think you will still need to sort the data to get the order you want.

This self contained Monarch process could be set up as a scripted batch file or the whole thing could be programed using VBA for example.

An upgrade to V8 (or V9) would be the best route in my opinion but assuming that is not possible at this moment the two stage processing should allow you to get what you need from the report. (Use more than two steps it is make the Monarch part of the process easier to create, monitor and maintain. The batch script can deal with managing the stages of the process.)

I hope this helps in some way. I am sure there are also other ideas that you could consider but these may be the quickest to develop and implement.

Grant

• MCR doesn't work
                      DNeufing _

thank you for your ideas.

we're checking the possibility to upgrade to 9.0 right now. the problem is no language issue but a difficult order workflow 

i will check some of your ideas tomorrow and give a response. maybe we get it to work w/o upgrade...

best regards,

DN