6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by tcorley _ RSS

Model question: Floating trap

Oli _

I've got a download file which looks like that 

[font="courier"]|@08@  |10000018 |0100           |EUR     |   15.600,00 |   14.700,00 |    15.600,00 |    14.700,00 |      15.600,00 |      14.700,00 |ZD3          |             |DS1                |                   |                   |                   |            |            |                |                |x              |

@08@

EUR

Z01

DS1

x

@08@

EUR

ZD3

D81

x

/font[/quote]As you can see the colums are spltted with this symbol:

But my problem is that, it could be possible, that the colums have different widhts, so that my model doesn't work correctly, and I have to make mandy corrections that the colums of the new file fits to the model. Thats very nerving, because maybe after the next download im confronted with the same situation. As you can see below:

[font="courier"]

@08@

EUR

ZD3

DS1

x

@08@

EUR

Z01

DS1

x

|@08@  |10000023  |0100     |EUR     |    76.300,00   |    6.900,00 |  7.300,00 |     6.900,00 |       7.300,00 |       6.900,00 |ZD3          |             |D81                |                   |                   |                   |            |            |                |                |x              |  /font[/quote]My question is. How can I work the floatin trap that Monarchs realizes that the | is the field seperator but independent for field width.

I think it is not a very difficult question, but it is a long time ago, I worked with floating trap and I forgot the technic.

OJ

• Model question: Floating trap
          Grant Perkins

Oli,

Your requirement looks very similar to the one the Frankc has  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000876"]here[/url] which, at the time of writing, is the post immediately below yours.

Have a look at that one for a start and see what it offers you.

Grant

[size="1"][ May 02, 2006, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]

Mike Urbonas

Oli,

I recommend using Monarch Pro to open your pipe-delimited file as a database (File -> Open Database...) not as a report file.

It is possible but a bit cumbersome to create a trap on such a delimited file; should be unnecessary if you treat the delimited file as a database instead.

There is quite a bit of material on Monarch Pro with pipe-delimited files, including this thread which I hope is useful to you (plus, do a Search of posts containing "pipe" - see link toward upper right corner of page):

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000269#000000"]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000269#000000[/url]

Mike

[size="1"][ May 01, 2006, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]

Nick Osdale-Popa

Gareth stated in that thread that Mike links to:

Unfortunately, we are not likely to allow the pipe character as a trap character in the future.  /quoteMy question is, Why not?  It would certainly help with files that have the pipe as a delimiter, and overcome the limitations of using the database import (read the link for those problems), or for those who are not on Pro versions.

tcorley _

I agree with Nick. It would be very helpful to have "|" available for "normal" use in floating traps.

Pipe delimited files are EXTREMLY common.

Why is this not an easy fix? I challenge Datawatch  to make this change.

Grant Perkins

TC,

I agree that pipe delimited files are common especially in the UNIX world, but then so are csv and TAB delimited files and both of those would, I reckon, leave you with potential problems if you tried to trap on the separator character.

TAB might be a problem anyway but comma offers some potential for for normal traps in reports and does not have a conflicting special character. But I doubt it would be very viable for a floating trap if you wanted to break the line into more than 2 fields based on the first comma on a line. And if I am right about that then I would also be correct to observe that a pipe delimited file would also be unlikely to give the desired results in a typical pipe delimited file.

If that is indeed the case then having a pipe as a trap character won't offer much - it's not a very common character in reports, at least not one that is critical for trapping purposes. And the way around it would be to swap | for , or some other character, using MSRP.EXE or a similar tool if you favour something else.

That's my limited view based on past experiences - have I missed something?

Grant (about to experiment ...)

After experiment ...

Using V8 for this quick look.

In principle where the lines are fairly consistently populated and you can select a sample row that has at least 1 char data width for every possible field, it looks like the floatig trap can work, though I would be careful to define field that filled the spaces between delimiter characters even if that may lead to spaces at the beginning and/or end of the fields. This may mean painting the fields manually rather tha using the auto field feature.

Also you need a sample line that has at least 1 char space in place between the delimiter characters even when a field might be empty. If no space no field can be defined.

My guess is that for some extracted files that might be difficult to achieve. In which case a dummy report line would be required to ensure tha all fields can be defined.

As I said earlier, it could get messy. For my money reading the file into Monarch as a database would be preferable with the second choice being the calculated field with the 'split' function in preference to a floating trap. But when it comes down to it it is a matter of personal choice within the parameters of what is available.

Grant

[size="1"][ June 17, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

tcorley _

Grant,

I agree Monarch is flexible enough to allow a work around to almost any problem.  Currently we employ a strategy of replacing all “|”(s) with “”(s) and designing a floating trap based on the “”.  This works fantastically .

All of the "special" characters holding meaning in traps are very uncommon to text reports with the exception of the "|".

The "|" is very common as a delimiter or, as in the case of the example given above, a decorative character.

The other characters are great choices. The Character representing a Numeric Or Trap, (The |), should in my opinion be more "exotic".

-Todd