2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Deborah99C _ RSS

Null value in external lookup column

Deborah99C _

Please help!

I have a null value in a single cell of an external lookup column imported to model#2.  All other cells of the column have valid data.  The external lookup data is coming from model#1, exported as an Excel file. I am doing a comparison from prior to current quarter for each item.  Example format for model#1 table view:

ST   LOCALITY     EMP TX

PA   Lancaster    522.91

Example format for model#2 table view:

ST   LOCALITY    EMP TX   EMP TX (ext lkup)

PA   Lancaster   522.91   (Null)

I have already checked my report view, and the templates are capturing the necessary data.  I have checked to see that the formatting is the same for each column.  There is a third column that calculates the difference between the two in model#2, but of course it also has a null value in this same cell. I checked Monarch Help but couldn't find anything pertaining to my situation. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Deborah

• Null value in external lookup column
          Grant Perkins

Deborah,

A null value in a field is most often the result of an attempt to write a non-numeric value into a numeric field.

In your case you can check the look up table created using model #1 and see, based on your example, a valid numeric value.

If model #2 is simply looking up the result of model #1's output (and that is know to be OK) then assuming the field types match and so on (is model #1 output to a text file or Excel or something else?) there woould seem to be little reason for the lookup data to result in a NULL field  UNLESS for some reason that particular line has no match on the key(s) (And the "EMP TX ext lkup" is a numeric field).

Sometimes the keys may look the same but for some reason are different - a leading space for example or something like that.

Have you checked through step by step? Try something like adding the key fields to the lookup as well - if they come through blank you have a mismatch.

HTH.

Grant

• Null value in external lookup column
            Deborah99C _

Grant,

I went over both models and verified the formatting was fine.  Then I checked the keys - and there was a mismatch.  Once I fixed that, the null values were gone.

Thanks so much for your help!

Deborah