5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by frank2007 _ RSS

Data Extraction Question

frank2007 _

Hi all -

First post - go easy on me.  I have a report that is formatted as follows:

Item Number        UM      Location      Price  

1234               EA      Whse1         22.50

Desc Item1234

4567               EA      Whse1         45.00

Desc Item4567

More Desc Item4567

I have no problem creating templates to extract the data.  The problem is that some of the items have descriptions on one line, and others have descriptions on 2 lines.  There are no blank lines in-between items.  How can I do this?

Thanks,

Frank

• Data Extraction Question
          frank2007 _

Sorry - couldn't figure out how to get those columns to line up correctly in my post.  The point is that some of the descrptions are on one line (with no blank between it and the next item), and some items have descriptions that span more than one line.

Thanks.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by frank2007:

[font="courier"]Item Number        UM      Location      Price  

1234               EA      Whse1         22.50

Desc Item1234

4567               EA      Whse1         45.00

Desc Item4567

More Desc Item4567[/font][/quote][/b][/quote]Hi Frank,

Assuming there is always at least one line of description the starting point is to make the description field a multi-line field using a suitable 'end on' setting in the 'Advanced Field Properties' (Right click on the field in the Template definition or Report window or use one of the other ways to get to the advanced properties.)

Try the options available as a learning exercise - it only takes a few seconds for each of them to see the effects and will likely mean much more to you than specific recommendation. Two or three of the options might work well for your example.

There may be some further work to do - it depends whether the description is on two line because the lines are different or because the description is simply long and needs to be displayed as a single line if possible.

We can deal with that once you have seen the data captured more or less as you need it.

HTH.

Grant

frank2007 _

Wow Grant - you're a stud!  All it took was to change the line count to 2 in the "End Field On" section of the description advanced properties.

Thanks a million!

P.S. Now how do I get the columns to line up like you did for the next time I post?   smile.gif[/img]

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by frank2007:

Wow Grant - you're a stud!  All it took was to change the line count to 2 in the "End Field On" section of the description advanced properties.

Thanks a million!

P.S. Now how do I get the columns to line up like you did for the next time I post?    smile.gif[/img]  /b[/quote]Frank,

Er, actually I meant to say that line count 2 was probably the one value you should not[/b] set since the field will then always be 2 lines. However it does slightly depend on how you have your template(s) set up. If your sample line is always 2 lines and that does not compromise the identification of the next detail record you could be OK.

As for the forum display matter - use the "code" button in the "Instant UBB Code" section below the entry  screen and simply paste your sample between the two markers that appear. (Or you can paste the sample and then add the markers manually if you prefer ...)

Glad that helped.

Grant

frank2007 _

Frank,

Er, actually I meant to say that line count 2 was probably the one value you should not[/b] set since the field will then always be 2 lines. However it does slightly depend on how you have your template(s) set up. If your sample line is always 2 lines and that does not compromise the identification of the next detail record you could be OK.[/quote]Beginner's luck, I guess.  I set up the template as two lines, and then just changed the line count to 2 for the description.  Seems to work perfectly - I did a spot check, and all items look fine.

Thanks again.