7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Louis Angelopoulos RSS

External Lookup Missing or Invalid

Louis Angelopoulos

I am having an issue where about every 30 days Monarch has a hard time seeing external lookups, and we get the "external lookup is either missing or invalid" error message when trying to link to ANY spreadsheet.  When that happens we uninstall Monarch , reboot, reinstall, reboot, and all is well for another 30 days.  we are using Monarch 9 pro.

What keeps causing this to happen?

• External Lookup Missing or Invalid
          Nigel Winton

Louis

I my experience this can be caused by the external document. With Excel I have found that if it is saved as a different version or by another machine that can cause problems, but usually if I Edit the link and redo it all it works again.

I do not recall any problems with using Access as the external database.

Regards

Nigel

Grant Perkins

Hi Louis,

Are you accessing the lookup files across a network? Do they change periodically as a group?

I not that you say this happens to ALL files.

My first guess would be that it might be something to do with network security and access authorisation levels or something like that. Monarch is being allocated compatible access on installation but if access to the lookup files is later changed for administrative security purposes but the rights for Monarch are not changed as part of that process you could see this effect. Are you logged in as a suitable Administrator account when installing Monarch? Is your Monarch a network installation or stand alone licence?

I am no expert on Windows security settings (I know enough to know they can cause problems!) but I would be looking at this sort of area early in my investigations.

HTH.

Grant

Louis Angelopoulos

Yeah, this happens to all files, whether they are local to the PC or on a mapped drive.  I can't even create a new document and link to it with a new model for testing purposes.  We are on a corporate environment where policies get pushed down periodically.  Would re-registering the software help?  I wondered if some of the features no longer work because I didn't re-register.  It seems likely that the network policy reason is the reason.

Grant Perkins

Louis,

So are you running a network installation that has been upgraded from 8 to 9?

I have no useful experience of network installations - mine are all stand alone.

However I understand there are certain requirements in the upgrade process in order for it to be completely successful.

Have you contacted Tech Support or browsed the Knowledge Base off the main Datawatch web site?

I don't think I am going to be able to add much more to help you but there may be regularly active members of the forum who have resolved this sort of problem.

Grant

Louis Angelopoulos

no, needed stand alone, because you can't do VBA with network versions.

RalphB _

We have 8 user license network version here and 90% of my work with Monarch is done thru VBA with no problems.

Louis Angelopoulos

well, with 9 pro (which is the first network version we attempted to purchase) the dll that you reference as a useable object is not there.  We contacted Monarch and was told that to have this ability, you must use the stand-alone versions of pro, as the network version does not come with this ability.  We were using 8 standalones, and tried to upgrade to the network version, but when we found out that there were no objects to reference, we were told this by Monarch support reps.  The 9 pro stand-alone has the VB ability.  If you had that functionality in 8 for networks, then perhaps it's possible that this was stripped out for release 9.  Either that, or the support rep lied to us, and we just couldn't find the reference to use.