8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by React _ RSS

Floating trap issues

React _

I am having issues with a floating trap.

In the example below I have set the trap to be the start of the 'Description' field with a trap of 'N/NN/N A' but it will not select all of the neccesary fields.

I am using v8.02

Location                           W/No Qty   Size                                                  Description                              

KITCHEN SIDE                          2   1   1118x                              935                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

DINING ROOM                           1   1    721x                              862                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

DINING ROOM                           1   1    721x                              322                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

KITCHEN SIDE                          2   1    457x                              844                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

UTILITY ROOM                          3   1    637x 1025                                            4/20/4 Obscure Tough + 'K' Oak           

UTILITY ROOM                          4   1    607x                              780                4/20/4 Obscure Tough + 'K' Oak           

BATHROOM                              5   1   1087x                              780                4/20/4 Obscure + 'K' Pelerine            

BATHROOM                              5   1    996x                              232                4/20/4 Obscure + 'K' Pelerine            

UTILITY ROOM                          4   1    516x                              232                4/20/4 Obscure + 'K' Oak

• Floating trap issues
          React _

I would add that this file starts life as a PDF and formatting is not as good as the example shown in the POST. The main problem appears to be that the Description field starting column can change from page to page

• Floating trap issues
            joey

My guess would be that the floating trap is not working well because you don't have an ending delimiter.  I think you'll need to pull the entire line, and parse out the description field.

substr(WholeField,instr("/",WholeField)-1)

• Floating trap issues
              Grant Perkins

I tend to agree with Joey about the approach to take. It may be less work in the long run anyway.

PDF's can be consistent sources for data BUT we have seen many examples in the forum which are not consistent from report to report for a number of reasons.

If you can't get a consistent output using the adjustments available I think it might be safer to siomplay extract the whole line and then parse it into sections as required - which is what Joey is suggesting. Not a particularly elegant solution but a practical one.

V9 offers some further advances in the PDF conversion application (I assume Monarch is the source of your converted PDF file) which may help but the upgrade path may not be open to you at the moment and in any case may not offer advantage for your specific pdf files. It may be interesting to find out though

HTH.

Grant

• Floating trap issues
                React _

that all sounds fine except how do I trap the line in order to section it, especially as fields are moving and they are other lines in the file that are not required, hence the need for looking at floating traps in the first place

• Floating trap issues
                  Grant Perkins

/size[quote]code:[/size]Location                           W/No Qty   Size                                                  Description                              

KITCHEN SIDE                          2   1   1118x                              935                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

DINING ROOM                           1   1    721x                              862                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

DINING ROOM                           1   1    721x                              322                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

KITCHEN SIDE                          2   1    457x                              844                4/20/4 Clear +'K'                        

UTILITY ROOM                          3   1    637x 1025                                            4/20/4 Obscure Tough + 'K' Oak           

UTILITY ROOM                          4   1    607x                              780                4/20/4 Obscure Tough + 'K' Oak           

BATHROOM                              5   1   1087x                              780                4/20/4 Obscure + 'K' Pelerine            

BATHROOM                              5   1    996x                              232                4/20/4 Obscure + 'K' Pelerine            

UTILITY ROOM                          4   1    516x                              232                4/20/4 Obscure + 'K' Oak /QUOTEDifficult to answer that as it trends to be very report specific.

Is there anything that is consistently positioned? Can you use it?

As a last resort you can simply trap every line by using no trap characters and then find ways to filter the unwanted lines and process the rest.

Now that is easy to write but not so easy to take in unless you have already had some exposure to the 'dark side' of Monarch! 

Initially you mentioned a problem mainly with the variable location of the description field. Do the others stay where they should be or can all of them move in some iterations of the report?

Grant

• Floating trap issues
                    React _

no, sadly they do all move I am racking my brain to try and find a method of trapping these lines only, but I am beginning to  wonder if trapping everything and altering it afterwards is the only way forward.  Do you think v9 might help?

• Floating trap issues
                      Grant Perkins

Are you using Monarch to read the PDFs or converting them first?

If directly reading the pdf have you played with the  available adjustments to fine tune the Monarch assessment?

V9 adds more to pdf processing needs but I would guess that V8 offers as much as V9 for line manipulation and filtering in this case as far as I can see currently.

Do you have an example of one or more files with the sort of problems that are challenging that you could release for people to asses and experiment with? Quite a few of the forum regulars have been known to offer direct help in these situations but would ideally need to have a 'hands on' opportunity to see the problems as they present themselves.

Send me a PM if releasing a file is a possibility.

HTH.

Grant

• Floating trap issues
                        React _

quite happy to release a file.  I am using Monarch to open the PDF without any conversion, the fine tuning options, are there any more other than the two tick boxes on opening them, if not then I have tried fine tuning.