8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Muli-dimesional report

Justin L

Hello,

I'm getting null, or nothing in cells (while in table view) for fields.

I've set up fields for lines in my report, and I've also set up fields for data I want to apply to each line.

This isn't the report, but you should be able to get the idea.

AAAA

1XXXXX XXXXX

2XXXXX XXXXX

3XXXXX XXXXX

How do I get the AAAA data to repeat for each line, 1 through 3.

Thanks!

-Justin

• Muli-dimesional report
          Grant Perkins

Hi Justin and welcome to the forum.

Your example suggests the AAAA value should be set up as an APPEND template with the 1,2,3 lines defined as seperate detail records.

If you have done that and it is still not working it seems strange UNLESS you are seeing NULL values because the field is set up as NUMERIC but the contents are interpreted as ALPHA.

Does this provide any pointers to the source of the problem?

Grant.

• Muli-dimesional report
            Justin L

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply.

Here is some of the data:

1 000089779           10/31/07 VR

2 000089780           10/31/07 VR

3 000089783           10/31/07 VR

4 000089784           10/31/07 VR

5 000089888           10/31/07 VR

6 000000226 000009776 10/31/07 CJ

7 000000226 000009776 10/31/07 CJ

OPENING BALANCE  =          3477.02

TOTAL DEBITS     =          4285.78

TOTAL CREDITS    =          3991.48

NET CHANGE       =           294.30

CLOSING BALANCE  =          3771.32

CALCULATED CLOSE =          3771.32

I would like the second group of data to apply to EACH line in the first section, so that the table was creating new rows for 1, 2, 3 etc and had columns with opening balance and total debits etc that repeats for 1, 2, 3 etc.

Currently I get null results for the second group of data.

-Justin

• Muli-dimesional report
              Grant Perkins

Hi Justin,

OK, that suggests that in the first group each line should be a separate detail record amd the second group should be treated as a FOOTER template (most likely) if it always comes below the detail lines you want AND each detail group has the same format of subtotal line grouping associated with it.

Iirc V6 (according to your profile) should be able to deal with the number of lines you would need in the footer to get all the data from that group. If the lines are always the same and in the same order you could trap the footer using "Opening Balance".

If not we may need to identify a less direct way to extract the fields.

HTH.

Grant

• Muli-dimesional report
                Justin L

This is all very helpful--thank you.

Now, what if I have more than one footer?

Additionally, is there a limit on the number of templates per model?

Thanks.

• Muli-dimesional report
                  Grant Perkins

Hi Justin,

The need to include more than one footer is unusual but has been dealt with in later versions where the number of footers, the number of lines in the footers and the total number of templates possible have all been increased.

Currently you will be limited to 12 templates - 1 detail, 1 page header and 1 footer and the other 9 can be append templates.

From version 9 you still have the logical one Detail and one Page Header template available but there are now a further 20 possible templates which can be any mix of Append and Footer types.

Bear in mind that the sort of footer you seem to have may be something that does not really make a lot of sense in the context of single detail rows seen in the report. If you need the aggregated numbers as well as the detail per record Monarch can do the sums for you using a Summary. So it may be that the need for multiple footers based on totals for groups of records is not as important as it may at first seem.

On the other hand if it really IS important then we may need to find ways to 'tweak' things to get to where you want to be. There are a number of approaches, though naturally now quite as many in V6 as there are in V7, V8 or now V9.

It would also probably be useful, if we need to look further, to know if you have the Standard or Pro edition of V6.

HTH.

Grant

• Muli-dimesional report
                    Justin L

Thanks Grant.

Could you explain why the program, in my case version 6, cannot handle when I try to capture footer data in append templates?

I'm not sure if my question is very clear, but when I use Monarch, suddenly one of my templates grays out the table view, or in this case, I get null values for no reason that I can see, I have trouble understanding the theory.

Thanks.

• Muli-dimesional report
                      Justin L

To further clarify, why is taxing on Monarch to have more templates?  Why aren't my traps be sufficient to let it know which information to snatch?

Also, I'm fairly sure I have the Standard v.6.

• Muli-dimesional report
                        Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Justin L:

Thanks Grant.

Could you explain why the program, in my case version 6, cannot handle when I try to capture footer data in append templates?[/b][/quote]I'll try ...

In the majority of ''standard' reports generated in most application systems - especially the so termed 'legacy' systems - would break up the data into sections of some sort, sometimes by several different sub selections and then UNDER the information for each section they would report a level of detail for the transactions.

At the end of that section they may also report subtotal values summarizing the detail data just reported. Not all reports are or were like that  - but the majority were as it reflects the way computers tend to sort and report data.

You also tend to see info at the top of each 'page' (Report name, titles, selection criteria and dates and times typically) and sometimes thigs at the bottom of the page - page numbers or maybe repprt name, source and so on. It all depends on who designed the system and specified the report.

Monarch provide a way to map these data outputs, usually, into a table of useful information. Certain types of template - Detail (by default there must be some) always exists. Page headers will usually exist, though you may not need an information from them. Footers often exist, though again they may not be used or useful. However if they are they require a special form of template that knows the footer is always to be found AFTER the detail.

In Version 6 you then have up to 9 APPEND templates which expect to find data fields from positions BEFORE the detail template, reflecting the typical structure of most reports.

I am wondering if you are setting a trap for you FOOTER data but not setting the radio button to identify the template using that trap as a Footer template, thus leading Monarch interpreting it as an Append template to be used with the next set of detail records. If the template for your Footer data area is not identified as a Footer template, change its type and see what happens.

Originally posted by Justin L:

I'm not sure if my question is very clear, but when I use Monarch, suddenly one of my templates grays out the table view, or in this case, I get null values for no reason that I can see, I have trouble understanding the theory.

/b[/quote]Not an unusual situation if you are new to Monarch but it really is very simple to understand (usually though there are some reports which may disprove that statement!) once you get past that first hurdle.

I don't suppose for one minute that you have any access to the excellent learning guide that would have been supplied with the software originally?

On the basis that you don't ...

[font="courier"]AAAA

1 000089779           10/31/07 VR

2 000089780           10/31/07 VR

3 000089783           10/31/07 VR

4 000089784           10/31/07 VR

5 000089888           10/31/07 VR

6 000000226 000009776 10/31/07 CJ

7 000000226 000009776 10/31/07 CJ

OPENING BALANCE = 3477.02

TOTAL DEBITS = 4285.78

TOTAL CREDITS = 3991.48

NET CHANGE = 294.30

CLOSING BALANCE = 3771.32

CALCULATED CLOSE = 3771.32

/font[/quote]If your report is structured something like this (combining your earlier examples) then

- lines 1 through 7 would be detail lines, possibly trapped using the date column though in the real report there may be other options.

- AAAA would be an APPEND template and a 'code' to be applied to all detail lines.

- The 6 rows starting with "OPENING BALANCE"  look like[/i] a sub-total for the details lines but it is not at all clear form the line detail where they might be derived. Based on the sample I would trap them using a 6 line data sample trapped with the OPENING BALANCE text and set the template as a footer.

BUT, if they are just sub-totals for value in lines 1 to 7 then I am not sure what value they have when included for each line and would point out that a Monarch Summary can be employed to give the figures calculated within Monarch. The footer may not be required data.

Are you in a position to post (or release privately) an actual sample of the report and the model you are trying to employ? It is getting a little more difficult to find people with V6 systems still in place to provide direct and tested support these days but there are a number of members of the forum who are willing to work with your data and try to provide solutions which you can then use as a learning tool by comparing the differences and seeing how the results are obtained.

As for you question about the number of templates and how traps work I think the simple answers may be best provided by Datawatch but the design constraints will be related, inter alia,  to underlying technologies, performance issues related to the software and hardware technologies at the time the version was developed and the perceived need at that time within the marketplace.

As I mentioned before things have moved on in more recent versions based on about 7 years (or more?) further development and changing needs.

As for the Traps not trapping what you want - some reports can be like that ....     

If they are really awkward we have to use extreme measures to get a result and that can be complex to try to explain. In fact impossible usually with out a real example to work with since there would simply be too much guesswork and too much room for confusion.

But at the moment the report structures you have illustrated don't look too bad. See how you go with the suggestions here. If you are still having problems let us know and enable your Private Message contact so that people can make contact off the public forum screens with offers of support if they able to.

I fully expect us to be able to get you past the hurdle and on to a good level of understanding in a very short period of time.

HTH.

Grant