3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

pdf problems Monarch V8Pro

Oli _

Hi,

I try to open my pdf-file generated out of SAP 4.6c. But the result is not useable. What more possibilities do I have? Should I transform in a special pdf-Version? With which program ? Is there a chance that can deal with my pdf-Format in the future ?

Oli

• pdf problems Monarch V8Pro
          Grant Perkins

Oli,

There do seem to be many variations in the way different pdf file writers produce their output.

Other forum users have recently posted that it often helps if you can open and then save the document in Adobe Acrobat because the original Adobe software seems to be able to deal with any anomalies (from the Adobe standard) that non-Adobe pdf file creation tools introduce.

Have a look at this post

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000849"]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000849[/url]

and perhaps contact Gareth by Private Message if you can provide him with a sample file for testing.

One thing that will be difficult to overcome is where a file output has been written as a graphic output (picture) rather than text.

If the pdf file content is really an image of a report and not the real characters that they should be, then Monarch will not be able to interpret it. That sort of file may provide some information if you run it through an OCR conversion program to extract the text from the graphics. However when I have played with that sort of method the results have not often been useful. It tends to be a slow process and unreliable in terms of results.

I hope this helps.

Grant

[size="1"][ February 08, 2006, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Mike Urbonas ][/size]

Oli _

Thanks Grant for your message. I sent Gareth an example file. I extracted one page of my file with adobe acrobat 4 and saved it. But there is no change and the problems exists anymore.

I examined the file. It is a pdf-Version: 1.3, and was generated out of SAP 4.6c and has graphic and text elements. This is shown by the General Info by Adobe Acrobat.

Oli

Gareth Horton

Oli

Thanks for providing the file.  We will take a look and see if we can fix the problem for the next release.

Gareth

Originally posted by Oli:

Thanks Grant for your message. I sent Gareth an example file. I extracted one page of my file with adobe acrobat 4 and saved it. But there is no change and the problems exists anymore.

I examined the file. It is a pdf-Version: 1.3, and was generated out of SAP 4.6c and has graphic and text elements. This is shown by the General Info by Adobe Acrobat.

Oli /b[/quote]