7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

Original Format Problem.

sumamatt _

Ok,  Here is an interesting problem.  I want to keep my report in original format but seperate all the data by a number at the top of each page.  Each number should be exported into a file named with the number.  For example number 100 is at the top of the first three pages and I want all the data from the first three pages saved to a file named 100.txt.  Any ideas.

Thanks,

• Original Format Problem.
          Grant Perkins

You're right, a good challenge.

I'm sort of hoping you have Version 7 or 8 Pro. Is that the case?

Are the numbers at the top of each page a known list or, in effect, variable. In other words could you predefine a number of filters which might cover all possible numbers or are there too many of them?

Do you need to keep each export complete with page headers? (and footers if there are any?)

Looking forward to the answers ...

Grant

RalphB _

This is what I use to export a text file out to multiple text files based on information at the top of a report.

First, select any row for a detail template. Select the whole row for your field.  Make sure it is set as wide as your wides line or what you  need.  You do not need to set any trap on this line.

Next, select the row that has the number you want to select as an append template and select that field.  Set an appropriate trap.  Since the value I want is on the second row, I use a multi-row append and trap on the first row.

Next, in the Table view, set up filters for each value you have, 100,200,...,.  You should see just the pages you want depending on the filter.

Then, just export each filter out separately into their respective text files.

Ralph

Nick Osdale-Popa

Originally posted by RalphB:

This is what I use to export a text file out to multiple text files based on information at the top of a report.

First, select any row for a detail template. Select the whole row for your field.  Make sure it is set as wide as your wides line or what you  need.  You do not need to set any trap on this line.

Next, select the row that has the number you want to select as an append template and select that field.  Set an appropriate trap.  Since the value I want is on the second row, I use a multi-row append and trap on the first row.

Next, in the Table view, set up filters for each value you have, 100,200,...,.  You should see just the pages you want depending on the filter.

Then, just export each filter out separately into their respective text files.

Ralph /b[/quote]And now in V8 that you can set a parameter, you can have it automated and set the filter to a variable page # count until all the pages are extracted or a range or page #'s or whatnot.  Interesting, I'll have to keep this one in mind!

RalphB _

Nick,

I believe I picked this solution or a variation of it up off of one of the Conference CD's Voodoo Monarch tips.  Those conference CD's are loaded with tips.   

Ralph

sumamatt _

Thanks, That gets me through the first half of exporting these out manually.  I like Nicks idea of exporting through the filter variable to get all of my files.  What is the easiest way to do this?  Thanks for all the help so far.

sumamatt _

Nevermind my last question.  I used VBA to export my report from the different fields.  Thanks to all.

Nick Osdale-Popa

Originally posted by sumamatt:

Nevermind my last question.  I used VBA to export my report from the different fields.  Thanks to all. /b[/quote]I was going to suggest using VBA using the new SetRuntimeParameter(). What did your final code look like?