9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Include Field names on export option

D Batey

Please could someone explain how this option works as I am confused.  Whenever I export to Excel if I check the 'include field names as first row of output' box or not does not make a difference to the resulting file as far as I can see.

An example may help.  I have created a model to capture the information in my report and I have created a summary to capture just the header information.  I then export the header information summary into 1 worksheet and the table (with a filter to remove the header) to a second worksheet.

Ideally, I want to export the header information without the field names and the table with field names.  Is this possible?

Currently, my exports are always putting field headers on both exports.

Any ideas?

Daniel

PS I am using Monarch Pro V7.01

• Include Field names on export option
          Grant Perkins

Hi Daniel,

The setting relating to exporting or not exporting column headings is saved at the model and registry level - model overriding registry where set.

I don't see a way, currently, to set a value on a summary by summary basis. Perhaps that's one for the wish list.

Off the top of my head the two options which come to mind are:

Have 2 versions of the same model but with the export column headers set differently. That would make the export a 2 stage process (but one stage as far as the user is concerned when using a batch file).

or

Deal with it as an Excel issue by export the headers as you do now but have an excel macro or some other process which drop the first line of the Header worksheet prior to combining the two sheets or the Combined worksheet post combination.

Or leave the line and clear the contents.

Or set the font colour for the text to white (or whatever) so that is remains but presents as blank cells. (Note: I think this could be done from Monarch but would be a last resort as the other options seem preferable.)

Maybe not what you were hoping to hear but I hope it helps in some way.

Grant

Originally posted by D Batey:

Please could someone explain how this option works as I am confused.  Whenever I export to Excel if I check the 'include field names as first row of output' box or not does not make a difference to the resulting file as far as I can see.

An example may help.  I have created a model to capture the information in my report and I have created a summary to capture just the header information.  I then export the header information summary into 1 worksheet and the table (with a filter to remove the header) to a second worksheet.

Ideally, I want to export the header information without the field names and the table with field names.  Is this possible?

Any ideas?

Daniel

PS I am using Monarch Pro V7.01 /b[/quote]

Gareth Horton

Daniel

The option only applies to text files, xml, HTML and "Monarch V3" formats.  If you wanted to use this for Excel, you would have to choose Excel 2.1 (Monarch V3)  from the Export File Types for Excel.

The problem then, is that Excel 2.1 does not allow you to create multiple worksheets, so you couldn't put the second sheet with the table in.

The only two workarounds I could see would be to delete the first row with an Excel macro in the header worksheet or to give the Summary Field Names names that might be useful by changing the Key Field Titles, e.g. MyCompany Accounts Dept Financial Reporting etc, so it looks like the first row is part of the Header info.

Gareth 

Any ideas?

Daniel

PS I am using Monarch Pro V7.01 /b[/quote]

D Batey

Thanks for the replies. 

I am a bit disappointed to hear that this is not possible.  Definitely should be added to the wish list.

And while we are talking about wish lists, how about making summary exports of numeric values appear as numeric values in Excel!    [img]smile.gif[/img] 

Daniel

Gareth Horton

Hi Daniel

We'll add it to the vast list.

Bear in mind that features get evaluated on the basis of the "the needs of the many" and your's is the first instance of this issue.

As regards the numeric in Excel, that has been on the list for a while, but it is a limitation of the Microsoft Jet ISAM driver we use to export to Excel.

Theoretically it could be fixed up in an Excel Formatting pass, but our tests have shown that the performance of the Excel object in doing that would be unbearably slow.

We do revisit that every time we work on a new version of Monarch, so it may just appear one day.

Gareth

Thanks for the replies. 

I am a bit disappointed to hear that this is not possible.  Definitely should be added to the wish list.

And while we are talking about wish lists, how about making summary exports of numeric values appear as numeric values in Excel!     [img]smile.gif[/img]  

Daniel /b[/quote]

Patrick 123

Folks,

I don't intend to reply to the original question but I have a problem closely related to including the Field Names when exporting.

I do not have a problem when copying and pasting from Table to Excel to include field names. However, when I copy a Summary the field names are blanked out. Meaning, the target Excel shee have blank cells in place of the field names.

This is frustrating.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

P

Grant Perkins

Patrick,

I don't have this problem with a windows XP. Monarch 7.02 and Excel 2000 combination.

There is a difference between export and cut & paste which may make this worth opening a new topic and continuing with that.

What combination do you have?

Grant

Originally posted by Patrick 123:

Folks,

I don't intend to reply to the original question but I have a problem closely related to including the Field Names when exporting.

I do not have a problem when copying and pasting from Table to Excel to include field names. However, when I copy a Summary the field names are blanked out. Meaning, the target Excel shee have blank cells in place of the field names.

This is frustrating.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

P /b[/quote]

Patrick 123

Thanks Grant,

I am on Windows2000 SP4 and Excel 2000 SP3. Primarily, I prefer cut and paste cause I do  a lot of investigation and create ad hoc excel sheets and monarch models.

Apreciate your further comment.

Patrick

Patrick 123

Sorry Grant,

I forgot to add the Monarch version which is 6.00.

Now, how do I move to a new topic?

P

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Patrick 123:

Sorry Grant,

I forgot to add the Monarch version which is 6.00.

Now, how do I move to a new topic?

P /b[/quote]To add a new topic just go to the bottom of the topic entries list you are looking at (or the forum topics list if you are not viewing a specific topic) and you should see a NEW TOPIC button on the left hand side.

Simply click that and it will take you into the screen you need. Probably worth using cut and paste from this topic to copy some of the information you have already provided to save typing it again.

I still have a V6.01 installation and looking at that and the 'Whats New' info for the 6.01 download on the Datawatch site I notice that the Export and Print options allow separate control of "Include field names as first row of output" for Export and Clipboard based processes and that there may have been a diference between 6.00 and 6.01 in that respect. However I cannot recall what the 6.00 situation was.

On the other hand if you are using 6.00 rather than 6.01 I would support the idea of updating anyway. Actually I would recommend looking at V7 but I do appreciate that this may not be an option for you.

Maybe someone else who has come across this problem will respond to the new topic entry?

In the meantime I hope this helps in some way.

Grant