1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Blank Line or Grouping in Monarch

LittleWizard _

So,  I have this report that is a log file.  The data that I need to extract also contains a blank line that is random. The blank line indicates the end of a 'group'.

Sample Text:

9999999991  processing ins plan K54 RMK code 1GG                 MRN# 00009999999

There is a blank line before the next group. In the report view I have successfully captured the lines that I want, however, with the export it wants to put it in a table which DOES NOT WORK!

Is there any way to 'group' data or qualify data that has a blank line as a 'start a new record' in a REPORT format??

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Signed,

The VERY frustrated LilWizard

• Blank Line or Grouping in Monarch
          Grant Perkins

Hi LittleWizard,

Not sure I understand the problem. I can visualise how the data lines and 'groups' might look but would like to understand what gives you the problem with the table and what sort of problem it is?

Is it simply that there is nothing in the data file that you can use to append a grouping identifier to the records? And are you suggesting that the blank line is the start of a new record or a new record group (containing many records)?

Id there nothing in the data records that allows you to group them - a code, a date or something?

Assuming that you have already considered that and found nothing, my initial guess is that you may need to pre-process the file in some way (several options available, including using Monarch) to change the blank lines into something you CAN use as a grouping code and perhaps use an append template to add the code to the table.

Out of interest, in case it influences which approach to take, which version of Monarch are you using? If 5 or above, is it the Pro or Standard version?

Grant

Originally posted by LittleWizard:

So,  I have this report that is a log file.  The data that I need to extract also contains a blank line that is random. The blank line indicates the end of a 'group'.

Sample Text:

9999999991  processing ins plan K54 RMK code 1GG                 MRN# 00009999999

There is a blank line before the next group. In the report view I have successfully captured the lines that I want, however, with the export it wants to put it in a table which DOES NOT WORK!

Is there any way to 'group' data or qualify data that has a blank line as a 'start a new record' in a REPORT format??

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Signed,

The VERY frustrated LilWizard /b[/quote]