6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Problem with Footers

nadineschaefer _

Hello,

My problem does not seem to be a new one but I am going to post it anyway. I have a report that some times the details have footers (remarks about the detail above it) and some times the detail does not. And to make it fun when the detail does not have the footer, there are no spaces below it. Then there is no unique identifier for each details line, other than the line itself. I will post an example once I go back and read how to post an example.

Thank you

Thought to tell you couple more things about the report. The footer(the Remarks) are not always as lined up as they look on the section I posted they are some times three lines long and they do not lined up to the left always as the example.

[size="1"][ February 09, 2007, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: nadineschaefer ][/size]

• Problem with Footers
          nadineschaefer _

Here is the sample

[font="courier"]          UNMATCHED ACTIVITY     - DTC                    ***   FREE ACTIVITY   ***                                                       

==================                                                                               

DEL/                                                                                CONTRA                     DTC     

CUSIP #   REC#          ASSET NAME              SHARES       ACTIVITY                DTC ID    PARTY   DEL/REC ACCOUNT   REASO    

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

003669AJ7    2837  ABITIBI CONSOLIDATED 8.37     -160,000.0000  DELIVER ORDER                       2803                  9   30     

DTC REMARKS                                                                               

9999-03 MWS ID: 5510377. Loan Id:                                                                               

00430U103    2837  ACCELRYS INC                      -400.0000  DELIVER ORDER                       2803  ESEC                30     

030506109    2837  AMERICAN WOODMARK CORP          -5,000.0000  DELIVER ORDER                       2803                  9   30     

DTC REMARKS                                                                               

9999-03 MWS ID: 5511122. Loan Id:                                                                                /font[/quote]

[size="1"][ February 09, 2007, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: nadineschaefer ][/size]

• Problem with Footers
            Grant Perkins

Hi Nadine,

See if this works for you.

I don't know what you used for you detail trap but I used a 2 numeric trap over the DEL/REC# field.

I then used the same trap again (so in theory you should be able to use whatever your trap is) for an APPEND template. (The SAMPLE data does not matter but it need to be one line of sample only.)

Paint a field that will be wide enough to capture the widest amount of text that is ever likely to appear in the line(s) under "DTC REMARKS".

Go the field properties (right click on the field) and then to the ADVANCED properties tab.

In the top secrtion - Start field on - take the second option "String:" and in the box that follows enter "dtc remarks".

For the "End field on" options I would guess that the default of 1 line will be OK but if there can be more than one line always separated by a blank line before the next detail record you coul dmake it a multiline field 'just in case' by entering "Blank field values:" = 1.

End then save the template. You should already have been able to see the relvant fields identified on screen.

If all has worked (verify against the report?) you should have the fields you need.

If not, let us know where it seems to fail and we can seek an amendment.

This technique may not always be appropriate but seems to work well here on the sample records.

HTH.

Grant

• Problem with Footers
              nadineschaefer _

Grant,

Thanks for the quick response! It seems to work about 90% of the time. Some times the report breaks right after the DTC REMARKS, and the first line on the next page, after the header, is the remarks. And those remarks do not get picked up, because the lines above the remarks do not have DTC REMARKS. Any ideas?

thank you

nadine

• Problem with Footers
                Grant Perkins

Hi Nadine,

What a nasty way to present the report, even for print and read purposes!

All you can do really is define a Template for a Page Header that will include all of the lines on every page header that come between the DTC REMARKS line and the line you really need. A Page Header Template area becomes 'invisible' to other types of template. So, as long as the Page Header area is consistent thoughout the report (I have seen reports where it is not) I think that defining one, with or without any fields extracted from it for other purposes, should enable the trick append template to work across page breaks.

If you can't get it to work could you post a sample of a problem page break(s) and we can have a look at the special circumstances that pertain to it. If some work and others don't it would be good to see a sample of each.

HTH.

Grant

• Problem with Footers
                  nadineschaefer _

Grant,

Thank you again for your quick response. Yes the report is not user friendly. But I asked the end use, who I am building this model for, how important the remarks are and they said they did not need the remarks. If they need the remarks they can tell there are ones associated with the line of information, if there is an account number in the Contra Party filed, and they can look the remarks up on the there system. So thank you for your help. But at the moment I am not going to pursue trying to get those remarks.

nadine

• Problem with Footers
                    Grant Perkins

Hi Nadine,

I agree there is no point in chasing out information that the user seems to think they don't require (though I suspect you almost have it and it would save them an extra task if they ever needed it ...) but I would still recommend you take a look at the Page Header problem solution anyway if you have not already done so.

The Page Header fix is something that has a broad use within the Monarch community, judging from the posts in the forum, and is well worth the familiarisation. It should only take 2 or 3 minutes to cover it.

Enjoy.

Grant