5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Sean _ RSS

Monarch Pro V8.0: Error when opening PDF

Sean _

I am getting a windows error stating that "Monarch.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows" when trying to open a pdf file.

Monarch reads most of other files okay but this is the pdf file that I really need.  This is the file that required purchase of Monarch Pro V8.0.

Any ideas....?

• Monarch Pro V8.0: Error when opening PDF
          Lisa Johnson

Sean-

I've had the same problem with some of my PDF files. I think it has to do with the program that created the PDF file. Sometimes if you open the file in Acrobat and save it again as a PDF file, it will open in Monarch. I'm still having problems with some of my PDF files that contain a lot of formatting, but I've heard that if you have a high enough version of Acrobat, you can edit a lot of that out fairly quickly. Haven't gotten a hold of a high enough version of Acrobat to try it out myself yet though.

Lisa

Gareth Horton

Hi Sean

Please get in touch with support and if you possibly can, provide them with your problem PDF file.

We can then take a look and try and get this fixed in a future version.

We have already had a few PDFs kindly sent in by users, and resolved those problems, ready for the next release.

The problem is, Acrobat is very much like Internet Explorer, in that it has been refined by a huge team of developers over the years to deal with sloppy PDF generation, much in the same way that IE can deal with sloppy HTML.

So in many cases, as mentioned here on the forum, resaving a file with Acrobat will clean up the file so that it may be palatable by Monarch.

We just need to make sure that we see as many examples as we can, to keep improving the PDF code, so that we can support as many PDF producing applications as possible, irrespective of their quirks.

In the development of the PDF extraction, we used more than 1200 PDF test files from different sources and producing applications, but there are definitely more out there.

Gareth

Originally posted by Sean:

I am getting a windows error stating that "Monarch.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows" when trying to open a pdf file.

Monarch reads most of other files okay but this is the pdf file that I really need.  This is the file that required purchase of Monarch Pro V8.0.

Any ideas....? /b[/quote]

Bob Yarnall

Gareth

I would like to know if you could tell me if PDF files produced by the Kronos iSeries timekeeping system were among those you tested.  We are converting to that system and PDF is the only way I can get some of the reports.  I have asked my director for version 8 but it has not been approved yet.  I would really like to know if it will work as advertised before we commit the dollars.

Thanks

Gareth Horton

Bob

No, we did not test any PDFs that we know were generated by Kronos, but we had numerous PDFs that did not have a specific provenance.

It is also difficult to say with some systems whether the PDF conversion will work perfectly, even on the exact same system and version, as the way a particular report is designed for a particular customer and situation, may cause the PDF producing code in the host application to act in a strange way that is not seen on other reports from the same system. 

Gareth

Originally posted by Bob Yarnall:

Gareth

I would like to know if you could tell me if PDF files produced by the Kronos iSeries timekeeping system were among those you tested.  We are converting to that system and PDF is the only way I can get some of the reports.  I have asked my director for version 8 but it has not been approved yet.  I would really like to know if it will work as advertised before we commit the dollars.

Thanks /b[/quote]

Sean _

Thank you everyone for your reply.

I have sent the file to datawatch yesterday. 

Saving the file again in Adobe works.  Formatting is off but I will see what I can do with floating trap.

Again, thank you so much for all your help.