5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Bruce _ RSS

    Bad external lookups from an imported object

    Bruce _

      Is this a bug in Monarch or I am going crazy?

       

      I had file lookup definition in one report that I was using as a master document for other reports.

       

      The lookup was used a strong link in other reports to re-use the same lookups.

       

      However when I changed the original lookup, the sub-reports did not pick up the changes. I got an error message box with nothing listed in the box.

       

      Monarch was not able to automatically notice that the original linked-lookup had changed.

       

      As a work-around I opened the sub-reports, deleted the link, save the project/ model and close Monarch. Then I re-opened the project and re-linked to the new lookup.

       

      Thanks,

        • Bad external lookups from an imported object
          Grant Perkins

          Hi Bruce,

           

          This sounds odd.

           

          What did you change - something in the lookup,  the lookup itself or the path to it?

           

          Let me know and I will see if I can reproduce anything similar.

           

           

          Grant

          • Bad external lookups from an imported object
            Bruce _

            Hello   smile.gif[/img]  Grant

             

            I had just changed a few of the variable names. When Monarch tried to load it had an error "unable to load bad link.

             

            I then went into the main report, deleted the lookup created a new one. When I went into the sub-report they could not load the (now missing) lookup-link. However I could not fix anything and the error box was completely blank. I deleted the link, saved, closed Monarch, re-opened the project, & created a new link. Now it worked.

             

            Thanks

            • Bad external lookups from an imported object
              Bruce _

              Todd

               

              Point taken, but I was not editing it in the downstream report but the upstream report. I wanted Monarch to pick up on the changes in the linked lookup.

               

              When I open the secondary report and the external model has changed Monarch should offer a dialog explaining the problem of a mismatch. Getting an error message of <nothing>, without any way to fix the problem is discouraging.

               

              OK end of my rant!

               

              Thanks

              • Bad external lookups from an imported object
                Grant Perkins

                Hi Bruce,

                 

                Just to clarify my understanding on this;

                 

                As I read it you linked to a report which was in effect strong linked to the original source of the data which itself was a variable controlled by other processes. Is that correct?

                 

                But Monarch requires a direct link to the source which is especially pertinent for strong links by their nature. So the ideal route would be direct to the lookup rather than through a reference in another report.

                 

                Did I understand correctly?

                 

                If so I can see it both ways though my personal rationale for this was that a direct link is safer for the process because it eliminates a stage of possible anomaly where the intermediate 'report' (or whatever) might be altered to address a completely different need without any way of making this evident to other processes.

                 

                This could be a good start point for discussions about best practice for Linked Object users - a whole new field for us Monarch users to get to wrestle with!

                 

                At the User Conference I asked a question of the participants in a couple of sessions about how many of them had Version 9 and were actively using the Linking and User Defined Objects functionality. Not too many hands were raised at the time so I guess the learning curve is just starting. Which means the next year could be fun ...

                 

                 

                Grant

                 

                [size="1"][ May 31, 2007, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

                • Bad external lookups from an imported object
                  Bruce _

                  Grant

                   

                  To answer your question the original report is a sales report. It uses an external access table as an look-up for the part numbers. In the actual report I have only the item_key, the external file has all the item particulars.

                   

                  So far so good, then I have another report showing returns. I want the look-up to the item master to be structured exactly like the sales one.

                   

                  I changed the access table field from "desc" to "Description" and then the sales lookup was modified with great results.

                   

                  As I wanted all the links to be the same, I assumed that the strong link from the returns report to the sales look-up would be able track the change; and would follow along to what ever was in the sales report lookup.

                   

                  That's when the wheels fell off...

                   

                  Thanks

                    smile.gif[/img]