2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Lisa Majors RSS

Concatenate Fields

Lisa Majors

Does Monarch have the ability to concanenate two (or more) field in a Monarch table? I looked at the function list and did not see specifically "concatenate".

Thank you.

• Concatenate Fields
          Grant Perkins

Yes.

The simplest form of creating a new calculated field would be to use the + operator

field1 + field2

or

field1" "field2 if you wanted to ensure a space between them.

Only applies to character field types. If you want to include some data that is from a non character field (but accept that it will be character in the concatenated field) you need to check out the functions available for converting data from one type to another.

Many interesting things possible once you become familiar and comfortable with the operators and functions for calculated fields.

Hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by Lisa Majors:

Does Monarch have the ability to concanenate two (or more) field in a Monarch table? I looked at the function list and did not see specifically "concatenate".

Thank you. /b[/quote]

• Concatenate Fields
            Lisa Majors

Thank you Todd and Grant! That helps tremendously. I use Excel often and usually use the functions (e.g., concatenate) and forget about the shorcuts (e.g., +).

Thank you so much for the help!!!

Lisa