8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Append Field Blues

Greg_Goodman _

I have a pdf file that I'm running into strange behavior with a critical append. I can't tell what the issue is except that Multi-column trap is involved . The report layout is simple with the field that needs to be appended one line above the start of the 12 columns of Detail records. The detail records can (& do) run across page breaks though without the append item repeating. All works fine for the 1st column of data (all detail lines are correctly associated w/ append) but on data from columns 2-12, append association picks up the next occur of the next append element below the detail lines. I've checked via Summary and all column #s are being captured as I match the report's totals. I'm a little rusty though and can't figure out a solution. I can send u model and pdf. Thanks in advance for your help

• Append Field Blues
          Grant Perkins

Greg,

Your description sound vaguely familiar to me from about a couple of years back. Not particularly PDF oriented but something to do with Multi-Column processing under certain circumstances.

There may be a post in the forum that relates to it.

Which Monarch version and release are you using - your profile says 8 but is that correct and if it is is that 8.0 or a later point release?

I am really pushed for time to look into this right now - sorry. But I will let it bubble around in my memory and see if I cvan recall a bit more about about what and when the matter I am thinking of came up.

In the meantime two things that may be of concern here.

1. How consistent are the PDF outputs and interpretation?

2. Is there anything that might 'interrupt' the column structure in a way that would separate the append column header from the columnar detail related to the header? (You mention 'one line above' but I'm not sure if that means the line immediately above or that there is a blank line between header and detail data.)

Hope this helps in some way.

Grant

• Append Field Blues
            Greg_Goodman _

Grant, better to be busy than not...currently on 8.02. I suspect the 'looseness' of the pdf file may have something to do with the problem but don't really know. Will send u pdf & model when u can take a look

• Append Field Blues
              Greg_Goodman _

Also wanted to know if V9 might be a solution...

• Append Field Blues
                Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Greg_Goodman:

Also wanted to know if V9 might be a solution... /b[/quote]Greg,

Have you got my email address? If so send the files and will look at them as and when I can - hitting the road and heading to Florida on Friday is the reason I am time constrained but there will surely be opportunities once under way (I hope).

V9 might make a difference as PDF fine tuning is stil evolving, such is the nature of the thing. However if the extracted text file has regular columns and you still have a problem then I don't think it is the pdf causing the difficulty.

On the other hand if the pdf's are inconsistently interpreted it might be.

Handling a one off pdf should be fairly successful these days if the pdf is well constructed in the first place. But getting an interpretation to work consistently with successive outputs over an extended period without the need for modification can be a challenge still. The book has yet to be written on that one.

Run a few examples of the same report into Monarch singly and see if the pdf auto assessment offers the same or different settings for any of them. If it does we can consider the options to approach the problem from there.

But this does sound like an MCR related investigation to me at this point.

Grant

• Append Field Blues
                  Greg_Goodman _

Grant, don't email address to use to send u files

• Append Field Blues
                    Grant Perkins

Grant, don't email address to use to send u files /b[/quote]Hi Greg,

Sent you a PM with the information.

Grant

• Append Field Blues
                      Greg_Goodman _

Grant, I was out of pocket a couple days but u should have the model and pdf via email...I figure it's my rusty Monarch but maybe not...

• Append Field Blues
                        Grant Perkins

Grant, I was out of pocket a couple days but u should have the model and pdf via email...I figure it's my rusty Monarch but maybe not... /b[/quote]Hi Greg,

Sorry about the delay - I picked up the files but the net connection here at the hotel has been a bit problematic for some reason when I have had time to try to send a response. Seems to be OK just at the moment.

I'll email in a few minutes.

Grant