1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Inserting a blank line

Magnetar _

Greetings!

I'm just wondering if there is a method in Monarch to insert a blank line in a txt file just above an easily defined trap.

I could then use End Field On:Blank field values:1 to properly capture this mult-line field that also happens to have a variable number of multiple lines.

This would solve a problem for me in capturing a footer-like field in the record.

I know there is probably a way in Visual Basic to do this, but before I pursue that alternative, I thought I'd check here.

• Inserting a blank line
          Grant Perkins

Welcome,

If the trap is easily defined because the next line always starts with a consistent string of characters (unlikely I know) you could look at using the MSRP.EXE utility program to modify the string and include a CRLF (Carriage Return/Line Feed) at the beging of the string and save the result as a new file.

That would give a blank line when you open the new file in Monarch.

However it should still be possible as things stand to create a multi line field that stops when it gets to the next template - in this case your easy trap - using one of the other 'End field on' options.

There can be exceptions to what is normally possible of course!

If there are no security or privacy issues to prevent a sample of the report layout being shared you could post a section in the forum for people to experiment and make suggestions.

Or to deal with it less publically off forum. Send me a private message if you can release a sample file and I will provide my email address.

Grant

Originally posted by Magnetar:

Greetings!

I'm just wondering if there is a method in Monarch to insert a blank line in a txt file just above an easily defined trap.

I could then use End Field On:Blank field values:1 to properly capture this mult-line field that also happens to have a variable number of multiple lines.

This would solve a problem for me in capturing a footer-like field in the record.

I know there is probably a way in Visual Basic to do this, but before I pursue that alternative, I thought I'd check here. /b[/quote]