2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Model Creation Tutorial

istuart _

I'm new to the Monarch world and am trying to learn the basics behind it.  I'm currently taking flat files and want to learn how to create tables of the data.  I think what I want to do is create models so that when I open a standard document it will go search for specific fields/lines within the document.  Is this exactly what the feature does?

Does anyone know of a site/place to go that had tutorials that I could run through to learn these basic functions of Monarch?  Also, how similar is Monarch Pro v 7.0 compared to v 5.0?  Would a 5.0 manual help me with these questions, or have the screens/drop down menus/functions changed with the newer version.

Thanks!

• Model Creation Tutorial
          Nigel Winton

Hi there, welcome to the wonderful world of Monarch. The basic principles of trapping data and creating model files is similar for most versions. I would suggest you look at the built in help menu as this has most of the things contained in the manual and will help you to create templates. Also this forum is excellent for honing your skills and other users are always willing to help if you get stuck

Regards

Nigel

• Model Creation Tutorial
            Grant Perkins

I completely agree with Nigel on this.

Sounds ike you have version 7 Pro but no training guide book? If you have the training guide for V5 the basics will be much the same. One of the benefits of Monarch development is a continuation of look and feel as well as enhancement of, rather than radical changes to, existing functionality.

Your V5 documentation should also cover the basic Pro functionality which adds on top of the standard product.

V7 adds a whole lot more but starting with the basics is much the same. However it would be worth trying to find the Training Guide for V7 (should have been supplied with the software) for activities after the first 2 or 3 exercises.

On the other hand you mention 'flat files' and I could take that to mean electronic report files (exactly what Monarch sees as a mainstream target) or 'data dump' files with a known structure but no formated layout. I tend to think of the latter when talking flat files.

Monarch can certainly deal with flat files, though some of the files may need preparation first. Some utility programs are provided to assist with this if required.

With luck the files present themselves simply as lines of unformatted data. So you just map the relevent sections of the data lines into fields in much the same way you map the formatted data from a report.

Sometimes the input file will simply have very long rows of data which need to ne cut up to a line length that Monarch can manage (creating multiple rows per record if necessary) which is where the utility programs come in - particularly PREP.EXE and perhaps MSRP.EXE which come as part of the installation or can be downloaded from the Datawatch web site.

Finally, with the Pro version, you have the opportunity to read database files, including delimited text files, directly into the Monarch table ready for further processing.

Each of these start points is really very easy. Starting from the appropriate section of the Training Guide should, in my experience, get you to a level of some productivity within an hour or so. I think finding that V7 guide would be time well spent to go beyond the first hour. Once you have the basic feel for how it all works developing your skills based on needs related to the tasks on hand should come naturally.

Alternatively you could look at taking the training courses available from Datawatch.

I hope this helps a little.

Grant

Originally posted by istuart:

I'm new to the Monarch world and am trying to learn the basics behind it.  I'm currently taking flat files and want to learn how to create tables of the data.  I think what I want to do is create models so that when I open a standard document it will go search for specific fields/lines within the document.  Is this exactly what the feature does?

Does anyone know of a site/place to go that had tutorials that I could run through to learn these basic functions of Monarch?  Also, how similar is Monarch Pro v 7.0 compared to v 5.0?  Would a 5.0 manual help me with these questions, or have the screens/drop down menus/functions changed with the newer version.

Thanks! [/b][/quote]