3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by dgr _ RSS

problem with Prep command line syntax

dgr _

hello,

I just recently tried to run Prep from the command line passing it paramaters at that time.  Here's the syntax of what I used yesterday, after read the command line help file entry in Monarch:

prep D:DailyL1LettersL012907 D:DailyL1Preppe~1L012907.prn NR 329 181

The Prep program ran fine, it read in the Input file and made the Export file, but when I then brought the Export file into Monarch it wasn't correct.  It looked like to me either Monarch used the 329 or the 181 paramater but not both...I'm not sure, just I know that when I applied the Monarch model, the data wasn't correct.

What I'm trying to automate that I usually do manually in prep is

(1) open this file:

D:DailyL~1LettersL012907

(2) then pick

No Returns

(3) then tab to 329, enter F3 to accept

(4) then tab to 181, enter, F3 to accept

(5) then export the file:

D:DailyL1Preppe1L012907.prn

Can anyone help me with the syntax of the above Prep command so it'll properly perform the above manual steps?  From what I read in the help file, it looks like it should be possible.

thanks in advance,

david

• problem with Prep command line syntax
          dgr _

can anyone help me with this?

thanks,

david

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by dgr:

can anyone help me with this?

thanks,

david /b[/quote]David,

It's been a while since I needed to use Prep or do any file adjustement pre-processing but whilst I can recall using the LONG parameter with variable lengths specified I don't recall ever using NR in that way.

That said I think I have probably only had to use NR once or twice to set only a single break point for the records.

Assuming you have a lot of records which appear as a single line with no break points defined, could you use NR in the first instance with a single parameter to split the records into their required lengths and then, assuming tghey are still too long for Monarch to deal with like that, split them again using LONG?

Based on what you mention about the split points V7 should be able to deal with the records as a single long line (providing that carriage returns are made available to it) I would have thought but I may have missed something and so lack a complete understanding of your problem.

Grant

dgr _

hello Grant,

I had tried "cutting up" the file in some different ways in Monarch Prep as you suggested, but every time, the output that I ended up with and then imported into Monarch was different and unusable from what we had been doing as I described in my first posting.

I ended up writing some VB 6.0 code that used VBSendKeys to send to Monarch Prep keystrokes and basically automated the Prep processing that way.

thanks again,

david