3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Dubrey _ RSS

Formula For Calculated Field help

Dubrey _

I have Last name, first name, and middle initial as 3 seperate colums (I have pulled this into monarch from a database) and I would like to know if there is a formula to combine them into one? (First name first followed by last then middle initial)

The colomn headings are character and are as follows.

INDIVIDUAL_LAST

INDIVIDUAL_FIRST

INDIVIDUAL_MIDDLE

Thanks in advance!

• Formula For Calculated Field help
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Dubrey:

I have Last name, first name, and middle initial as 3 seperate colums (I have pulled this into monarch from a database) and I would like to know if there is a formula to combine them into one? (First name first followed by last then middle initial)

The colomn headings are character and are as follows.

INDIVIDUAL_LAST

INDIVIDUAL_FIRST

INDIVIDUAL_MIDDLE

Thanks in advance! [/b][/quote]Try this as a calculated field , adding spaces and any punctuation you may desire at the same time;

[font="courier"][INDIVIDUAL_FIRST]+ " "+ ", "+"." /font[/quote]The spaces and punctuation in the " " can be used to format the resulting field as you wish it to be.

HTH.

Grant

Edit to add --- I see Kruncher hit the button first.     

Good idea to include the LEFT. Indeed a TRIM. left or similar function might be useful for all fields that are being combined but you will probably spot that as you create the result. Or maybe INTRIM if you have V8 or above ...

Data Kruncher

Create a large character field (100 characters?) named FULL_NAME and give it this formula:

[font="courier"]INDIVIDUAL_FIRST + " " + INDIVIDUAL_LAST + " " + Left(INDIVIDUAL_MIDDLE,1)

/font[/quote]That'll do it.

Dubrey _

THANKS GUYS!