3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

trapping problem

Bwebb _

What can I do to trap specific rows that may be in different locations + or - 2 rows in multiple reports.

• trapping problem
          Grant Perkins

Presumably you are looking at component lines of a larger record here?

If you cannot treat then as detail lines and trap them according to some specific text, specific character positions or generic character patterns the next most obvious option is to try to use a preceding string for selection using the advanced field properties. (From version to version of Monarch there have been a few terminology changes from time to time but the basic idea is the same. Which Monarch version do you have?)

Another option might be to trap several lines as a block of text and then identified the information you require from within the resulting field. However you still need a clear way to identify the data from the lines you need to work with.

These are the things I would look for and the order in which I would investigate them.

If you can post here a sample of the report or a replica of the format it would be helpful and allow people to be more specific - but I do appreciate that is not always possible. Sometimes the best approach is very dependent on seeing the real report and some real data.

I hope these suggestions moves things along for you.

Grant

• trapping problem
            Bwebb _

version 7.0

Thanks for the information Grant. I have another question regarding a somewhat straight forward teller report. I have trapped the four rows that are needed from the report. However these headings do not aways have an occurrence daily. So for example in one instance, there was a occurrence for 3 of the 4 rows however when I viewed the grid there was a bogus value appearing.(I think it was from the previous record. I did look at properties and did not see anything abnormal.

• trapping problem
              Grant Perkins

The problem with many reports is that they are consistent 99% of the time when you need them to be 100% consistent to avoid anomalies.

If you can give me sight of the layout and where the problem occurs I will gladly try to come up with a suggestion or two about working with the anomaly. It is likely to be report specific rather than a general principle I suspect.

Post to the forum, via a Private Message or, if it is OK with you, send me a file sample and perhaps the model you already have and I will see what I can do with it. If you want to go that route send me a PM with an email address and I will contact you directly with my email details.

Grant